TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

1991 Camry stalls

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 05:54 AM
Default 1991 Camry stalls

The first 5 pages of this forum show nothing but drug information. I assume I can list my problem with my Camry so here goes.

1991 Camry LE occasionally tries to sputter and stall - just as if it was running out of gas. Occasionally does stall but starts right up again. I replaced fule filter and fuel pump but it made no difference. Any suggestions where the problem lies.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 PM

seems like this is a ghost forum full of spam, I dont understand what is going on here? so much for looking for help...

Old 12-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by thomasthomas1
The first 5 pages of this forum show nothing but drug information. I assume I can list my problem with my Camry so here goes.

1991 Camry LE occasionally tries to sputter and stall - just as if it was running out of gas. Occasionally does stall but starts right up again. I replaced fule filter and fuel pump but it made no difference. Any suggestions where the problem lies.
Do you have a normal high idle speed when starting the engine completely cold? Does the idle speed kick up a few hundred RPM when you turn on the AC? If you turn the steering wheel slightly a few degrees with the engine running, does the idle kick up a bit? If NOT- you may have a failed IAC valve (idle speed control valve). What you can try doing is removing the boot to the intake, open up the throttle by hand, and clean the area surrounding the throttle plate with decarb cleaner and a rag. Spray the cleaner on the rag and wipe- don't spray into the intake as directed my most aerosol decarb cleaner cans. This may prevent your stall out and smooth out your idle speed.

JJ

Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Default Not a gas problem

I finally found a fuel pump gauge that worked and set it up in front of the windwhield so I could watch it while I drove. The fuel pressure is between 40 and 50 pounds and doesn't drop when the car acts like it is running out of gas so I guess I don't have a fuel pressure problem. My next guess is distributor cap and rotor. Anybody got a better guess?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 PM

did you check if there are some leaks?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:40 AM

Low fuel pressure would affect your engine in a high fuel demand situation such as wide open throttle or acceleration- not at idle. If you can keep the engine running by simply holding the throttle slightly open with your foot- you have an IAC valve problem. I'd suggest you start there first.

JJ

Old 12-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by thomasthomas1
I finally found a fuel pump gauge that worked and set it up in front of the windwhield so I could watch it while I drove. The fuel pressure is between 40 and 50 pounds and doesn't drop when the car acts like it is running out of gas so I guess I don't have a fuel pressure problem. My next guess is distributor cap and rotor. Anybody got a better guess?

I had a Windstar van that did this and it turned out to be an issue with the ECU.