General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise when braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Default Grinding noise when braking

Lately I've been getting a very loud grinding noise when applying the brake. It sounds like it is only coming from the right front, and while it is happening more and more, it still doesn't happen every time I use the brake. At times it gets to the point where it shakes the wheel. I haven't had the time or ability to get the wheel off, but I'm assuming this means I need to replace the pads and rotor. Does this sound right? After the wheel started to vibrate it almost made me think it could be a hub issue, could this be the case?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

If it only happens with the brake applied then it is the sound of metal on metal. Your pad(s) are worn down so much that there is no more braking material left on the pad and the metal backing to the pad is now in contact with the rotor. Get the wheel off and check your pads and rotors. Sometimes it is just a rusty lip built up on the rotor from uneven pad wear. In either case, a brake job needs to be done. If it is only one wheel that has worn down the pad while the others are ok, you might have a stuck caliper piston that is not releasing when you take your foot off the brake pedal and just wears the pad down till there is nothing left. You might need a new caliper as well. You won't know anything until you get that wheel off and take a good look. The sooner the better too, brakes are nothing to neglect. I hope this helps.