TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

Correct part for camry LE 1995??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 12:46 PM
Default Correct part for camry LE 1995??

Hello Camry forum members.
This post is regarding the proper tailgate lift supports (hatchback) for my 1995 Camry LE wagon.
The left lift support (rear drivers side) snapped a few months ago after many years. I bought a new one and my mechanic put it on but it snapped and the part that attached to the body came off and was dangling by the top part. I went to both local Auto Zone stores and also an
O' Reilly and they told me that both left and right lift supports are identical despite my finding a 'pair' of used ones on Amazon stating "a left and a right one".
Last month an Auto Zone worker put a new one on at the store correlating it with the opposite one and it looked secure but it looked a little close to the side of the metal frame when we closed the hatch to check. Eventually a little paint began to be scraped when the hatch was being closed, then that lift rod also snapped again yesterday.

This is the Auto Zone part numbers from my receipt 000027063 B95271 'Mightylift' and was told that this fits both sides.
I would really appreciate anyone letting me know whether there are different parts for the tailgate, if not then my mechanic and the Auto Zone person attached it wrong.
Thank you for any help. Kevin.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

The Toyota part numbers are below. Search under the part number.

8950-09041 Lift Cylinder, Right

68960-09011 Lift Cylinder, Left

Old 09-10-2021, 04:33 PM
Default Correct part for Camry 1995 LE.

Hello Joey.
I am really grateful for your reply! Finally someone has provided me with the correct part for the left side!! Very unusual that the mechanic and two Auto Zone stores could only locate one item for my vehicle (they showed me the computer screen) which didn't differentiate right or left.
Now I will return the buckled lift shock which they should accept since they sold it me, plus the warranty is until next January.
I have checked with your numbers online and located a couple of places to purchase the part so I believe I'm better off getting my money back from Auto Zone and buying online despite the wait and higher cost.
After three attempts this will be fixed soon, and correctly.
Thanks again for your help Joey. Kevin.