TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

Road noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 PM
DAA
Default Road noise

I just purchased a 2007 Camry V6 XLE. It has the loudest road noise of any car I have owned. Sounds like I am driving with the windows open, can't hear the radio because of the road noise. Is there a way to quiet it down? ie undercoating, padding etc.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Might be the tires.

Suggest staying away from undercoating as this can lock in water and lead to rust.

Owners and third party shops have added after market sound proofing materials inside the car similar to what car manufacturers do for higher end cars.

It's a lot of work as the carpeting, trunk liner, door liner, etc must be removed to put down the material which must be cut to fit before installation.

The base material is typically some kind of flexible foil covered dense rubber or asphalt matting. The material side sticks to the bare chassis, the foil side keeps the material from sticking to anything else.

There are also padding products available that go on top of the base material.

Sound proofing cars can be a science and one can spend $500 or more just on materials for a good job.

Sound proofing materials for DIYers are available on the internet. Some materials are better then others and lots of opinions abound as to what is best. The best is some kid of high grade synthetic rubber.

An internet search on your interest will turn up many hits, some with very good info.

For first hand report results review past posts at the Toyotanation site where this subject has come up before.

If you are serious about, do a lot of research first. Spend more for quality materials. One issue with asphalt (a very low cheap material) is the car will smell like asphalt for days.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Might the tires or the aircon... It very rare to have a car like that.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:50 PM
DAA

thanks for the info
Marry Christmas and Happy new year

Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 AM

More than likely it's the tires, my guess is they are Goodyears. Goodyears are famous for slipping cords with plenty of tread left making them loud.