General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-25-2015, 06:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Airbag/air bag/SRS light '99 Camry LE

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Default Airbag/air bag/SRS light '99 Camry LE

(1999 Toyota Camry LE 4Cyl 2.2L, 99000 miles)
The airbag SRS indicator light has been solid on for the majority of 6 months. It has gone off for a few days a couple of times. The last time it went off was after I drove over a pot-hole.
1) Can the code for the error be read by an OBD scanner using the normal OBD port? The autozone scanner didn't read any error.
2) I found instructions in several places on how to manually reset the SRS fault by shorting/grounding OBD port connector pins in a certain sequence for the '96 generation, is there a similar method of the '99 camry? For the older generation I read that the indicator may get stuck on after a temporary fault.
Note that I need to get the car state inspected this month, but plan to trade-it-in and buy a new Camry in the fall so I need a temporary solution and don't care about the short-term safety of not having a working airbag.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

If the light went off after hitting a pothole suspect a loose connector. If the car has side airbags in the seats check the connecters under the seat.

Might also be the spiral cable in the steering wheel.

Some code readers are not designed to read SRS codes, others can.

You can try the code clearing method for the 96 and see what happens. If doing this follow the directions carefully to accomplish the items in the proper time interval.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfrank
(1999 Toyota Camry LE 4Cyl 2.2L, 99000 miles)
The airbag SRS indicator light has been solid on for the majority of 6 months. It has gone off for a few days a couple of times. The last time it went off was after I drove over a pot-hole.
1) Can the code for the error be read by an OBD scanner using the normal OBD port? The autozone scanner didn't read any error.
2) I found instructions in several places on how to manually reset the SRS fault by shorting/grounding OBD port connector pins in a certain sequence for the '96 generation, is there a similar method of the '99 camry? For the older generation I read that the indicator may get stuck on after a temporary fault.
Note that I need to get the car state inspected this month, but plan to trade-it-in and buy a new Camry in the fall so I need a temporary solution and don't care about the short-term safety of not having a working airbag.
airbag light on means some fault codes stored in your car,
toyota it2 can help you clear the fault codes with airbag.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Banned

a airbag reset tools can help you