Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

09 Camry LE Radio/Clock lose power when put into gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 01:22 PM
Default 09 Camry LE Radio/Clock lose power when put into gear

Good Morning,
My daughter's 09 Camry LE 2.4l had this issue pop up recently. Radio and clock are working fine but when the shifter (automatic) is moved to the right to go into reverse, power is lost to the radio and clock. When in gear, the radio will intermittently come back on and off. When in park without moving the shifter at all, there is no issue. I thought there may have been something accidentally dropped into the shifter area (soda, etc) but when got into the area, it was clean ( I also blew it out with some air once the shifter assembly was out to eliminate any dust and debris that may have been in there). When I removed the wiring harness to the shifter (right front of the shifter assembly), the radio and clock stay on without issue (even when using the shift override to move the shift lever). I thought that there may have been an issue with the shift module so I tried to switch the shifter (with a friends) to find out and the same issue still happened when I plugged it in. I also checked the grounds behind the console area and they are clean and free of corrosion.
I did try to search the forums for this issue and I saw a comment about the ACC relay but the OP did not reply if it worked.
Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-20-2021, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Just moving the shifter left and right causes problems and not actually selecting a gear.

What wiring harness did you remove? At the shift lever in the car?

Old 07-20-2021, 04:36 PM

Yes @toyomoho , just moving the shift lever, while in park, to the right a couple of millimeters the power will cut out on the radio and clock. Do not lose any memory and the time is not reset either.
Yes, when I remove the wiring connector at the shifter assembly, at the front right of the assembly, I will not lose power when moving the lever. When I remove the one to the rear of the assembly, nothing happens.