Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

92 Camry Speaker Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:07 AM
Default 92 Camry Speaker Issues

I have a 92 Camry LE my left speakers are dead. The factory head unit was installed when I bought the car and still is, however yesterday I tried to replace it with and aftermarket unit because what I had read online pointed to a faulty head unit. Installing the aftermarket unit changed nothing I still have no sound coming from the left side speakers. I checked all the fuses and found none blown but I doubt there would be a separate fuse for the left and right channels. I also checked to see if came with the factory amplifier which my online research stated was under the passenger side seat. There is no amp in that location so I am going to assume my car did not come with one. I can't believe both speakers on the left side are blown and even if they were putting power to the wires would make them make some sort of noise, I tried that yesterday and there was no noise what so ever. I could also believe one speaker,especially the door speaker had a broken wire, but not the deck speaker. So I am at a loss at this point I really don't want to replace all the wiring running to all four speakers. Has this happened to anyone else? I really could use the help. Thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

If any speaker works the fuses are OK.

Determine if the stereo has a remote amp or if it is built into the unit in the dash. The built in amp unit would have the two plug system show at the The Install Doctor - The Do-It-Yourself Car Stereo Installation Resource site.

If the old and replacement stereos had a built in amps and the problem is the same then look at the wiring. Use an ohm meter to check continuity in the wires from the radio to the speakers.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM

I knew that there was only one fuse for the stereo I was just stating that to stop the "did you check the fuse" posts. The original stereo has two plugs on the back of it plus the round outlet plug which if I remember right you either plugged into the factory eq or cd player which would take away the cubby spot under the stereo. The stereo I was going to replace it with is just a cheapy Dual from Wal-Mart. I know it works because it was in my pickup when I bought it, I just replaced it with a better one. I was afraid I was going to have to tear into the wiring. Another question though, is there anywhere else on the car where the stereo wiring plugs into another harness? Or are the only connections at the back of the stereo and then at the speakers themselves? What I could really use is a wiring diagram that shows the route of the wires from the stereo to each speaker so I can track any connections and potential rub/wear points. I have a haynes manual for the car but the wiring diagrams don't show that.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

If the back has 2 plugs the stereo it has the amp built in amp, the round plug is for the CD player.

For the drivers side speakers, there appears to be one splice point for each speaker wire behind the drivers side kick panel. From here the rear speaker wiring moves along the rocker arm panel area.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Default Reply

Try replacing the speakers. You can fit 5.25's in front and 6x9's in back. One bad speaker can send fault electricity to the head unit, causing the head unit to terminate all power to/from the speakers to avoid damaging them. Check to make sure the wiring in the back of your HU is stripped, soldered, and heat shrink together. Tell me if that doesn't help!
- Devin Pickering, BBY Geek Squad MECP AutoTech