Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

iPod/Speaker Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Default iPod/Speaker Mods

Just got my '09 Camry, ever so slightly used (under 5k) with the basic sound system.

My commute is 30 minutes each way, so I wanted to upgrade the sound system...don't need it to be thumping by any standard but want it better than stock. Haven't used CD's in 5 years or so, so everything is through iPod.

In the meantime, I've got the iPod wired into the aux port with a regular 3.5mm male/male cable, but I'd like to go to the direct cable that sends the sound and power through the iPod charging port...I've heard that you can basically disconnect the aux cable port and wire in an iPod harness into the headunit and run the iPod cable through that location, was wondering if anybody has done that and how easy it is. I'm tempted just to take it to a car audio place and have them do it, but I don't wanna pay through the teeth if it's something I can do on my own.

Also was thinking about upgrading the speakers, had aftermarket 6x9's in my old '97 and it made a huge difference, albeit with a newer headunit (nothing special). I'd like to avoid replacing the headunit (don't mind how it looks in the dash) but at the same time, I know that if it's not pumping out enough power, it doesn't matter how great the speakers are, they won't sound good.

What's the best of these options:
1) Install aftermarket 6x9's, no changes to headunit.
2) Install aftermarket 6x9's, no changes to headunit, add an amp.
3) Install aftermarket 6x9's, change the headunit to something that can pump out a little more power, avoid adding an amp.
4) Install aftermarket 6x9's, change the headunit, add an amp.

Again, I'm not looking to rattle any windows with bass or anything, I just want good, crisp sound that I can pump up a little bit when I'm on the tollways.