Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

No power to new head unit, camry 03

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:32 AM
Default No power to new head unit, camry 03

Hi,

I recently bought myself a new headunit, Kenwood DDX-40205DAB. I also bought some wiring harness to ISO. I plugged it in the old cables and it fitted perfectly. Then I turned the car on to test out my new head unit, but there was no power.

Can anyone help me out with this?

I've attached two pictures of the two cables I plugged in the wiring harness.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:15 AM

is the radio fuse ok

great pics by the way

that should be a simple plug in and work ..not sure

need to get a 12 volt test light to confirm you have a power to that cluster

Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

You have a link for info on the replacement head unit?

How did you wire it up, red is not power?

Did old radio have built-in amp or remote amp?

Old 09-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Here is a link for the specs: Kenwood DDX-4025DAB Double DIN DAB | Car Audio Direct

Red and yellow is power, at least on the new cables, on the old ones it's gray and blue w/ yellow stripes.

I just wired it like it was in the wiring harness, but there were only 2 "wiring houses" (if thats what you call them) included in the wiring harness.. In addition I've got 2 more that. Now I've found out what all of them do:

The one on the first picture in my first post gives power and audio front. The blue one gives rear audio. The one on the last picture i've attached here gives power to the display I think, because once I got the old radio playing and plugged it out, the display went of, but the radio kept playing. The one on the first picture has something to do with the ignition I think, because it was requiered to be plugged in before I turned on the ignition, but could be taken out once I've got the radio on. My friend said the old player probably had an built-in amp.

I've also attached a picture showing color codes.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Your wiring colors appear OK for your car connections and new radio connections.

How are you connecting the car harness wiring to the radio?

The car had two harness connectors, white and blue. How are you connecting these to the radio?

Does the new radio wiring kit have pre-made harness that allows plugging into the existing radio harness? Are you cutting car wiring and splicing it to the new wiring for radio harness, or removing existing car wires from their connectors and reinstalling them into the new radio connectors.

Suggest you review the radio installation manual "Connecting Wires to Terminals" page. Determine if the connectors A and B pin numbers on new radio match the color of wire (wire function) they are supposed to.

The manual lists specific pins whose color of wire show match up per your chart.

CrutchField may sell a plug-in harness adapter.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Turns out it was the head unit that was defect. Tried plugging in another head unit and it worked right away.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with the problem.