DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2000 Camry various questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Default 2000 Camry various questions

I've got a 2000 Camry with 181k miles.

Question 1: The last timing belt change was done at 85k miles (according to the sticker on the timing cover). So, as you see, it's a little past due for the timing belt replacement. She's still running strong, and starts up with no complaint on the first try. That's not a worry. But, as I was looking around at parts, I noticed that the gasket for the timing cover is a thing. Is this something that is important to replace as well? Reason I ask, I've got an '88 Civic that the cover doesn't have a gasket, and the silly thing happily runs without the cover. I've done a little digging, and I haven't seen any mention of replacing the gasket in the tutorials I've seen and read.

Question 2: When the engine has warmed up, and I'm stopped at a stop light, the front end vibrates like something is out of balance. Only does this when I leave it in drive. I pop it in neutral, and it's happy, smooth as butter. I was thinking it might be the harmonic balancer, but under investigation, everything is fine with that. I did notice the torque strut mount (or whatever it's called, the motor mount on top) looks a little rough, missing parts of the rubber, so I plan on replacing that (and rest of the motor and trans mounts) when I do the timing belt (as it has to come off). Ideas what it could be? Maybe it is just the mount?

Question 3: About 4k miles ago, the car sometimes would sound like it's got an exhaust leak, and then it would go away. Now, it's constant. Where are common places for the exhaust to start showing problems? I've had it up on a lift, and looked underneath it, but can't find any problems. I'm thinking its somewhere that isn't visible without removal of the exhaust system. It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the vehicle, when sitting in the drivers seat. Sitting in the passenger seat, you can't hear it well, as weird as that sounds. On the outside of the vehicle, you can barely hear it.

Question 4: About 2.5 years ago, I replaced the struts on all 4 corners. After that, a slight rattle had formed. Doing a little digging on that, I found out that my sway bar links were bad. So, I replaced them. The car rode like a dream, and was quiet again. Then, recently, another rattle had formed. I thought it was the sway bar links again, since I went cheap on them. I investigated them, and no, they're still tight. Talking with a friend, and he said the ball joint is probably bad. Figured since it was the original with the car, what harm would it be to go ahead and replace it? I did some digging, and the symptoms match up with what we've got. I plan on going ahead and replacing the lower control arms and ball joints, just to give her new bushing on the control arms also. My question on this, what else would be a good idea to replace? Remember, this car has 181k miles, and running with original components mostly.

I had a couple more, but I don't remember what they were.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

I've got a 2000 Camry with 181k miles.

Question 1: The gasket acts like weather stripping. It can keep out debris and gross water intrusion but isn't water tight. If it's bad, replace it or supplement the bad sections with a bead of silicone seal. The gasket slides into a groove on the cover

Question 2: The 4 cylinder will vibrate if the RPM drops too low. Rare but has happened the balancer outer ring can separate from the inner ring. Check for this. Bad motor mounts can cause vibration. Rev the engine and watch for excess engine movement. The top engine mount rubber grommets are prone to breaking down. The lower front mount is hydraulic and can fail. The rear is solid or hydraulic depending on the trans type. If rough idle, clean the IAC valve and throttle body with throttle body cleaner.

Question 3: The exhaust has a section of flexible metal pipe connecting the engine exhaust pipe system to the exhaust system under the car. The pipe is typically the source of exhaust leaks. If leaking, the section can be cut out and replaced with an aftermarket part.

Question 4: Would be unusual for the ball joint to be rattling and if so you should be able to see and feel the ply. Use a large pry bar and check for play between the lower arm and knuckle. There should be zero play. Check lower arm bushings as you noted. These can deteriorate and cause excess suspension play.

A bad upper strut mount can make a rattle. For the sway bar bushing wrap Teflon tape around the bar where the bushing mounts and determine if the rattle goes away.

If the engine is using the same water pump, might change it out with belt. Plus the belt idler and tension pulley. The engine oil pump drive shaft seal can start to drip. The seal can be replaced. An internet search will find posts on this. Check crank and cam seals for leakage and replace as required.

The car does have specific parts that tend to fail but these are not related to the above repairs.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:20 PM

Toyomoho,

Thank you for your reply.

Question 1: That's what I needed to know.

Question 2: This vibrating has started roughly a year ago. As I said, its only once the engine is at operating temperature, and only when the transmission is in drive. Put it in neutral, and it's fine. I planned on replacing the motor mounts when I do the timing belt.

Question 3: I'll check the flex pipe out when I get the car up. Thanks. Might just replace it anyway.

Question 4: I've got no response, but it has been acknowledged. Thank you.

I planned on replacing the water pump, the tension pulley when I do the timing belt, and I'll check the cam and crank seals as well. Right now, she's not leaking, and I wish to keep it that way. I had a little bit of an oil leak a couple years ago, but replacing the valve cover and spark plug grommets fixed that.

I'm aware of parts that do fail over time and mileage, and I've been doing well at keeping up on it. As of late, I've been chasing the pesky P0401 code. I replaced the EGR valve and modulator valve, and it went away for sometime, but came back. I've done the searching on fixing that, but for right now, it's not super important to me as it's been running fine and no issues at all to report.

Again, thank you for your reply.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Did you clean the EGR exhaust passages of carbon?

Check VSV for EGR system.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:04 PM

I don't think so, I'll tear it down and clean it up, even if I did.