DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2009 Camry LE intermittant gauge/ dash issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 03:37 PM
Default 2009 Camry LE intermittant gauge/ dash issue

Hello,
my 2009 LE ( 4 cyl) has an intermittant issue.

seemingly random, the Temp gauge, Tach and speedometer will drop to “zero”, the “BRAKE” ( parking brake) light will illuminate, the “ABS” light will illuminate, “ PRND4321” will go out, and the “ outside temp” will read “ E”. I also noticed that while the heater/AC blower still blows, it niticanly reduces in power and sound…. AC doesn’t blow cold at those times either. This will occur randomly , and for random time periods…. I’ll notice the tach and temp gauge back up and AC starting to cool, etc…. But then it drops off again…. It does all this in Park too…. If I rev the engine, sometimes the tach will bounce…

engine runs fine, no stalling or loss of power. No Trouble Vides stored ( but my scanner is rudimentary, only recording DTC from the Chevk Engine Light/ emissions. I didn’t notice shifting problems, but really didn’t drive much with this issue.

But all the lights work( head, brake, dash, etc). I think the radio also works at all times.

I checked under the dash and under the hood, no signs of damage or melted/chewed wires, no recent work done, nothing feels loose, no corrosion.

I thought about fuses, but that shouldn’t be intermittant…

relays?

and suggestions or comments?

seems almost like a loose connection?

unrelated ( I hope), my tire pressure sensors quit working about 6-9 months ago. I couldn’t see spending $250+ when I already regularly Check the air pressure myself in all my vehicles…

THANKS,

Tony

Old 06-23-2021, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Others car owners have experienced this same issue and posted their thoughts on the internet.

Check for leaking brake fluid at the ABS module. The fluid can get onto a circuit board and cause all sorts of electrical issues.

The instrument cluster could be bad. Unfortunately the cluster is one big circuit board with no easy replaceable parts. Power and grounds for many of your problem issues is ganged together. If you are handy with electronics might check for bad solder joints on the board.

The brown and white/black wires to the board go to chassis ground. Power comes from the dome (red), gauge no 2 (gray) and and MPX-B (purple) fuses. Unfortunately Toyota uses the same color of wire for different connections to the cluster so probe carefully..

Does the cars electrical system have any major power drains such as high amp stereo, HID;s, etc? .How are the battery and alternator output and wiring connections?

Toyota has a website where for $20 one can download factory service manual info for 2 days.

https://techinfo.toyota.com

Old 06-23-2021, 11:10 PM
Default Thanks

Car is all stock, except some interior LEDs plugged into the power port ( ignition on). Otherwise all stock and pretty basic.

I cleaned the battery terminals a few months ago, guess Ill check battery and
alternator output, and look at ABS controller. I haven’t seen any leakage, brake fluid is still full,

thanks for the link to Toyota manual.