DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

'92 Camry starting problem

Old 08-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Default '92 Camry starting problem

hello...new to CF, but I'm hoping you Camry guys can help. I bought a '92 XLE (v-6) w/176k on the ticker. Started fine when I bought it. But now it starts intermittently. Checked the timing (Marks lined up), distributor and rotor (clean- no oil or burn marks), replaced ignition coil, checked relays, checked fuses, pulled the relay boxes and sprayed contact cleaner in both, checked spark at the plugs (good) (it appears to have new wires and plugs). I drove it yesterday on an errand and it restarted just fine. Out this AM and it cranked over, but never fired. Have a good week in chasing this electrical gremlin. I even paid $20 to talk to a Toyota mechanic (Had me do fuel pressure, timing and spark, but never really came up with an answer). Ant and all suggestions appreciated.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Any correlation between starting issue and air temps or rain?

Even if not starting there is still ign spark?

Did you check the distributor sensor coils inside it for ohm resistance?

Old 08-13-2016, 09:32 PM

I went ahead and replaced the distributor. Now the problem seems to be a timing issue. I read elsewhere on the forum that a backfire can cause the belt to jump time. I cranks about 6 -8 times and stops. Before it would crank continuously until the battery went dead. Sounds like now I have 2 issues. If the timing is out and a new belt /water pump is in order, I don't think I have solved my initial issue. BTW, Thanks for your response, toyomoho.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

The engine is backfiring?

The engine stops cranking over after 6-8 tries or 6-8 seconds or what?

Have you attempted to time the engine using a timing light?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 PM

Well, I figured out the timing issue(all wires out of sequence - newbie mistake) - moved wires to correct spot in distributor cap and voila, it started. But I'm still back to the original issue....doesn't start in the AM....wouldn't start @ 5 this AM....cranks and cranks, but no fire. I have replaced the coil, the distributor, checked for current to the coil, checked plugs (clean, but smelled a little like gas) confirmed timing is good (for distributor installation), fuel ( I can smell it and I did loosen the plug in the end of the rail and sprayed fuel everywhere - remember it runs fine WHEN it starts). I am really at wits end with this thing. Possible ignition switch issue? (but I still get power to the coil) Please help. I really don't want to pay a shop for a lot of diagnostic time. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:40 PM

BTW, I live in Nashville, TN. Don't see much cold (especially in August0, but LOTS of humidity!!!