DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

96 4 cyl wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Default 96 4 cyl wont crank

I have a 96 4 cyl. I replaced the positive battery terminal connector and when i opened the door to try and crank it the horn started blowing. I turned the key over and nothing the fan all the lights come one but the motor doesn't turn over. i removed the bat cable to get it to stop but still does it. what can i do to get it to crank.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 PM

I think the bat is not the problem, try to test it all over again.

Last edited by full house; 06-12-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

The horn blowing seems to indicate the car has an alarm system, if so disarm it.

This might also explain the engine not cranking over.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 AM

if its an alarm then its factory because theres not one that we know of thats after market. how would i disarm it. what else should i check.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Try locking all the doors manually, then opening the drivers door with the key.

The factory alarm is triggered by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. If activated, the factory alarm will not stop the engine from cranking over. Some factory models allowed the engine to crank over but not start. Not sure what year these stated, if activated look on the dash for a blinking red light.

If there is no aftermarket alarm system stopping the engine from cranking over there must be something wrong with the starting system.

Did the engine crank over before the battery cable was replaced, or was this the reason for its replacement?

Battery power runs to the starter solenoid (an electric switch) bolted onto the starter motor. When the ign key is turned to start DC power is sent to a relay, this relay sends power to the starter motor solenoid to energize it. The solenoid electric switch closes sending battery power from the large battery cable to the stater motor.

Make sure the solenoid has 12V from the battery (large cable).

You can run a few tests. Use a short section of wire (#12 or larger). Momentarily jump the 2 large terminals on the solenoid. One connects to the battery, the other to the starter motor. The stater motor should engage. Don't leave the connection too long as the wire will get hot! due to the excessive current flow.

If nothing happens there is a problem with the battery cable (check the battery ground cable), motor, etc.

If OK and starter motor engages, find the small electrical terminal on the starter solenoid. There is a one small dia wire attached. Remove the wire and apply battery power to the electrical terminal. This will bypass the starter relay circuit.

If the starter engages, the issue is the starter relay circuit or starter solenoid. You can use a volt meter to check for 12V DC at the small wire when the key is turned to start. If power the issue could be the starter solenoid, typically the contacts inside the housing.

If it is the contacts the Toyota dealer sells replacements that can be installed with the starter system still on the engine.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM

Toyomoho,
I replaced the terminal because it wouldn't start the other day. I cleaned the connection and it cranked but i messed up the temirnal so I replaced it with one I had at the house. Once I opened the door the horn started blowing figured if I cranked it with the key it would stop. It didn't. This afternoon i decided to pull the fuse for the horn. I turned the key to on and removed the battery cable and replaced it and fixed the problem. Thanks for the advice.