DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

99 camry 4 cyl oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Default 99 camry 4 cyl oil usage

original owner of a 99 camry 4 cyl with 190k. For the past 25l I've been having to add oil pretty regular between changes. Currently I'd say I'm at ~1 qt per 1500 miles? It doesnt appear I'm leaking, but burning or passing through. The other day while driving 60mph I stepped it down to make a pass. The person behind me saw a bit of a smoke cloud and had oil on his windshield. If the oil consumption repair is not too significant, I'd tackle it. Just not sure where to look or test first? Any guidance? Please?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Sounds like valve seals or guides, but check your PCV valve first. Enough oil to produce smoke after running through two cats is a good size problem.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 AM

two cats?
I know how to check the PVC and will do so. As far as guides or seals; is there a means to test or do I need to pull the head and take it in for a vavle job or ??
thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

When the valve stem seals start leaking there is typically a cloud of white smoke out the exhaust pipe at cold engine start up.

Might do a compression test and compare cylinder readings with each other.

When the spark plugs are removed determine if one or more are oil soaked or look different from the rest.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:36 AM

I'd try what was mentioned above before reading any of this.

We were just talking about this the other night at work. If you are not to concerned with the environment. I personally am a bit aprehencive about this though.

One of the guys said he dumped some Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase on an old truck his dad had that burned oil. Drove it for about 3 days. All of which it had a cloud of smoke behind it so bad the rearview mirrors were worthless. However at the end of it the truck no longer used oil. He presumed it was because the rings were plugged up with deposites and could no longer seal against the cylinder. The blowby could be what was causing the loss. The Marvel Mystery oil had loosened the deposites so the rings could seat against the cylinder walls again.

**This is only speculation on his part, so don't take my word for any of it.** **I'd also recomend a filter change VERY shortly after something like that because it will break loose a lot of other stuff as well.**

Otherwise you could always try adding a bit of SeaFoam which could pretty much do the same thing(never tried it personally). I'd do some research on it first though.

Last edited by tzfbird; 03-20-2010 at 07:43 AM.