DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Can't remove bulbs in overhead Map Light consol.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 01:38 PM
Question Can't remove bulbs in overhead Map Light consol.....

I know it's a silly question, but does anyone have an idea how to get the blasted bulbs out of the overhead map light console? I have LEDS to put in there to improve the light output. I don't want to break the glass bulbs or I will have a worse problem than I have now. I've tried using a plastic trim tool to pry them out...no joy! I resist using a needle nose pliers for fear of breaking the glass bulb. A YT video shows a bloke putting tape around the bulb to remove it.... again no joy!

In all the LEDS I've installed it shouldn't be this hard <sigh>

I want to try using a piece of rubber hose and forcing it over the bulb, but there is so little room to get at the bulb that prolly won't work either...I know how to remove the whole unit but I don't know if that gives me an advantage.

Thanks to all in advance.

Shammo

Old 08-23-2021, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Year of car?

Old 08-24-2021, 09:27 AM

Hi Toyomoho

It's a 2012 XLE with 56K on the clock.... just got it a few weeks back.... wife's car. Just trying to do some small things.. never thought I'd need an engineering degree to pull some bulbs out! lol

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2021, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Place masking or electrical tape around the bulb and pull on the end of tape..

Some make a noose from dental floss then install it with a tooth pick or screw driver. Pull the noose out until it snags the bulb head then pull out bulb.

The overhead console can be removed and bulbs accessed from the rear. Pull console straight down.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:28 AM

I replaced my overhead with an LED and had a rough time getting my bulb out too. I wound some kite string around the base and used it to pull gently. I kind of had to rock it back and forth til it let go. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:56 AM

Just what I was hoping for.. more ideas! Thanks to all who replied.

"the sink" glad to hear that you had trouble too misery loves company. I am sure that one of the methods will work or a combination of them. "Joey P" I was wondering if taking the console out would give me access... thanks a lot!

Sorry didn't respond right away, there was a medical issue that came up and I wasn't at the keyboard.

Will let you know what I did and what worked.

Regards,
Shammo

Old 09-02-2021, 12:32 PM
Talking Success

I got the bulbs out by using metalized tape used to seal the joints in home heating/ac ductwork ( not the generic cheap 'duct tape' . This stuff is really sticky and it worked a treat. The bulbs came out like they had eyes!

So I now have my leds in place in the map lights and rear dome liight. Big improvement to say the least and I didn't make a mess out of it LOL.

Many thanks to all, glad I asked and didn't jump in with no forethought.

Cheers,

Shammo

Old 04-12-2022, 07:01 PM

My map light fell inside the console so I have to pull out the whole console. Having a tough time pulling the console out by pulling it straight down. Even with a lot of force, the clips won’t disconnect. Any tips?

Old 04-13-2022, 02:56 AM
Default Removing map light console

Evidently theyre kinda hard to get out. Yank on it good with a plastic trim tool.