DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Door lock problem in 95 Camry

Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Default Door lock problem in 95 Camry

I'm a noob with a 95 Camry - I've been reading threads on various door lock problems.

My 95 Camry has had intermittent door lock problems on both doors and the trunk for five years. The key will stop working the lock on one side so I'll use the opposite door and then eventually the defective lock will start working again. This has happened a few time with each door and the trunk.

But all the lock buttons on all four doors have always worked without any issues. Does that indicate that lock circuitry is all good and I probably have a mechanical problem with lock cylinders?

People have been cool about not stealing stuff from my car for the last few weeks but I will eventually want to lock it up...

Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried a different key?

It has happened a key can work with one door and not the other or the trunk.

Toyota cars started coming with a master key and a valet key. When did this start? The valet key had a limited number of locks on the car it would work with.

Suggest the following:
Have a new key made from the key code (don't just duplicate the old key as it could be worn). If the key code is lost call a dealer and ask if they can make a key from the VIN number.

Spray lock lube (department or auto stores should have this) into the locks and onto the key to work into the lock by turning it with the key.

Use only lock lube not WD-40, etc as this will gum up the lock. Work

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Thanks Joey P. I didn't realize how easy it was to have a key made from the VIN. I'm trying that today.