DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Front end clunk sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Default Front end clunk sound

2013 toyota camry LE with 107000 miles on it. Been chasing this sound from my front driver side wheel, its a single loud clunk that happens when you put the car in gear, accelerate from a stop, or when i make a turn. It doesn't happen every time but most of the time. I can also recreate the sound by giving the car some gas while in gear with my foot on the brake. Also i could not recreate the sound while the car was in the air. Ive had several issues now with the suspension on this wheel and have replaced the lower ball joint and the wheel bearing. Both jobs i did myself. The clunk started a few weeks after i replaced the wheel bearing. Ive checked and rechecked seemingly every part down there and am at a loss.
Currently i suspect the CV, but i would think it would continuously make the sound while i drive. Also i have suspected that it might be and engine or trans mount. Could really use some help on this one! Thanks!

Old 07-26-2019, 04:37 PM

It sounds like CV joint issue. Check whether you CV joint boot is cracked or not. When boot is cracked and wheel turns, grease inside will spread out and eventually will damage your CV joint. You will hear clunk sound especially when you drive and making a turn. If your CV boot is cracked, it is better to change the CV assembly rather than just boot due to cost of parts and labor. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:32 PM

Did it make the noise after you replaced the ball joint? I'm not saying the ball joint is bad. Just a good guess.