DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

I need help!!! 06 camry le

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Question I need help!!! 06 camry le

Hello, i
I just purchased my 06 camry le i love it, but its doin something weird.
When it changes from 1st gear to 2nd it jumps forward. And when i brake and it downshifts from 2nd to 1 st and then to complete stop , the rpm goes crazy going down below 1000 and jumping up to about 2500 and the back down.
What is it? Im scared its got somethin to do with the transmission
+( its an automatic)
Please help!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

What happens to the RPM if the trans is put into neutral?

How many miles on the car since the last trans fluid replacement change?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 PM

I just bought it with 148k and i have no idea if the previous owners kept up with the maintenace.
I havent tried to see what it does in neutral ...
Just had trasmission fluid changed and the screen cleaned. Now it does the same but a little less

Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Try to isolate the trans and engine by shifting to Neutral when the idle act up then determine what happens to the idle.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Hi thank u for your reply! Im so happy that there is someone that takes time out of their life to help me.
I Am so tired of people not taking me seriously just because i am a female talking about cars
Anyway, this might seem a silly question, but how do i SHIFT INTO NEUTRAL WHILE DRIVING? Just press the brake and shift??? Like without being completely stopped?

Another thing - i dont know if this matters but it only seems to do it when im DOWNSHIFTING AND ONLY EXACTLY AT 40 mph ...weird!!

I really dont want to be disappointed in camrys ...i always thought this was a very good and reliable car

Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Are you stating the issue only happens at 40 mph? If so find the O/D lockout switch (typically on the shift level) then turn the O/D off. When off an O/D indicator light should illuminate on the dash. Then determine how the car works when passing through 40 mph.

Shifting from Drive to Neutral does not require pressing on the brake. Just move the shifter forward; the shift lever has a stop preventing the shifter from going into Reverse.

Do not press the shift release button when shifting into Neutral, as when shifting from Park to Drive when the car is moving or you may shift into reverse and damage the trans.

Practice first with the car stationary. Move the lever from Drive to Neutral. Make sure the lever cannot be moved past Neutral into Reverse without pressing the release button and only shift into Reverse when the car is at a complete stop.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Talking

Hello
Yes, the RPM only jumps like that at exactly 40 mph..

I WILL GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE: i am driving at 60 mph in a 55 zone And im coming up on a red light so im pressing the brake gently as im aproaching the light. At this point the speed fell from 60 to 50 and RPM fell to around 2000 as im braking more steady im reaching 40 mph and exactly at that point im watching the rpm and it goes to less then 1000 than back up to about 2500 which causes the car to jump forward a little and by this time im already completely stopped and the rpm is in its normal spot a little under 1000..

Then , same thing as i drive off when the light turns green: i go from first to second with no problem and then as soon as i get ready to change to that next gear and reaching around 40 mph again the rpm does the same exact thing i described above.
I also heard about some kind of a recall on camrys that had to do with this...

Thank you for your reply, I understood everything you explained about the overdrive and the shifting and i shall try it tonight and post tomorrow