DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Rear brakes thumping noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Default Rear brakes thumping noise

Hello all.
A friend and I recently changed the rear drum brakes on my 96. We replaced the shoes and the drums. Braking is improved but starting the next day, I now have a rhythmic thump upon braking. Anyone dealt with this? I should note we did reuse the springs. Maybe They're just not adjusted properly? One more thing that the experts could help with...my e-brake light has been on and off 80:20 for a long time (before the rear brake change.) Thanks for any help.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:23 AM

There is no need to replace the rear drum springs when replacing the shoes. 2 questions- did you have the drum resurfaced? ... and.... Did you use factory brake shoes? If not- did you compare the length of the friction material of the new shoes to the old? The friction material is of different lengths for the leading and trailing shoes when it comes to factory parts. I have seen several aftermarket shoes that use equal length friction material in their shoes - which have resulted in noise. If you didn't have the drums resurfaced- do it. Then try adjust the shoes so they just barely contact the drums under rotation. If the noise still persists- use factory parts.

JJ

Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 AM

We used new drums. I didn't really take a good look at old vs. new. I think I still have them, so I'll try that. I'll try readjusting them. Hopefully that'll do the trick, I really don't want to have to buy more parts. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by Joel_CA
There is no need to replace the rear drum springs when replacing the shoes. 2 questions- did you have the drum resurfaced? ... and.... Did you use factory brake shoes? If not- did you compare the length of the friction material of the new shoes to the old? The friction material is of different lengths for the leading and trailing shoes when it comes to factory parts. I have seen several aftermarket shoes that use equal length friction material in their shoes - which have resulted in noise. If you didn't have the drums resurfaced- do it. Then try adjust the shoes so they just barely contact the drums under rotation. If the noise still persists- use factory parts.

JJ