DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Rotor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Default Rotor Issue

My car has been making some weird noises while braking. I followed this blog to diagnose the brakes How To Diagnose Brake Noises | Service Plus 416 : Toronto Automotive Garage. It did not help me fix the brakes. Looks like I will have to get my rotor and pads replaced. Can someone help me with how to confirm if it is the rotor and brake pads?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

What year of car and if 4-wheel disk brakes?

What type of noises? Metal to metal, clicking, etc.

Non-Toyota brake pads can cause strange noises.

Determine which brake(s) are making the noise. Then raise tire and rotor tire listening for the noise. If a front tire the trans will need to be in neutral.

Make sure the emergency brake is on and the tires blocked to prevent the car from moving when jacked up.

You can inspect the rotor and pads. If a front tire turn steering wheel to rotate the pad holder to allow viewing the sides of the pads. This will allow you to determine the thickness of the pad braking material.

The braking material is bonded to a metal plate that mounts in the holder.

The rotor should be free of grooves. If the brake pad is worn to the extent the metal backing material now contacts the rotor, groves will form in the rotor.

Determine if the backing plate is bent and contacting the rotor. This is a round sheet metal plate this is behind the rotor.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
What year of car and if 4-wheel disk brakes?

What type of noises? Metal to metal, clicking, etc.

Non-Toyota brake pads can cause strange noises.

Determine which brake(s) are making the noise. Then raise tire and rotor tire listening for the noise. If a front tire the trans will need to be in neutral.

Make sure the emergency brake is on and the tires blocked to prevent the car from moving when jacked up.

You can inspect the rotor and pads. If a front tire turn steering wheel to rotate the pad holder to allow viewing the sides of the pads. This will allow you to determine the thickness of the pad braking material.

The braking material is bonded to a metal plate that mounts in the holder.

The rotor should be free of grooves. If the brake pad is worn to the extent the metal backing material now contacts the rotor, groves will form in the rotor.

Determine if the backing plate is bent and contacting the rotor. This is a round sheet metal plate this is behind the rotor.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I just saw the notification mail now. I was getting too worried and I got my rotor fixed from a garage and btw I am using a 2009 Camry

Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

You got the problem fixed, great.

Thanks for posting back.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:39 PM
Default RE

Originally Posted by toyomoho
You got the problem fixed, great.

Thanks for posting back.

Hey! I should be the one to thank you!