DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Timing Belt V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Default Timing Belt V6

Can someone recommend a place where I can get a timing belt kit for a toyota camry v6 thats a good deal please? I have a limited budget. Its for 2000 camry

Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 PM

have you look at ebay?they have cheap offers their and I think I saw a timing belt, not sure if its available or sold.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Old 08-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Can you guys recommend which brand to use?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 PM

don't cheap out on critical parts.... I would recommend toyota oem timing belt parts. I had my timing belt replaced by some shop and used aftermarket parts--sure enough strecthed enough to making horrible noise in morning around timing belt cover area... seemed like timing belt was slapping against the timing belt cover.

I replaced with oem timing belt and upgraded tensionioner bearing new spring. Problem solved,,,no more noise and car runs good no problem--30k miles so far and still running good on the new belt....total miles on car 160kmiles 96 camry 4 cylinder...

Oh, old original timing belt lasted 90k miles when it broke down on side of road...turns out 2-3 ribs of belt inside of belt just shredded away thus not engaging the crankshaft bearing.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by honda pc
don't cheap out on critical parts.... I would recommend toyota oem timing belt parts. I had my timing belt replaced by some shop and used aftermarket parts--sure enough strecthed enough to making horrible noise in morning around timing belt cover area... seemed like timing belt was slapping against the timing belt cover.

I replaced with oem timing belt and upgraded tensionioner bearing new spring. Problem solved,,,no more noise and car runs good no problem--30k miles so far and still running good on the new belt....total miles on car 160kmiles 96 camry 4 cylinder...

Oh, old original timing belt lasted 90k miles when it broke down on side of road...turns out 2-3 ribs of belt inside of belt just shredded away thus not engaging the crankshaft bearing.

i couldn't agree more...critical parts should be purchased at dealership.

question - when your belt broke @ 90k. what happened?
- did the car just stopped or die out
- did it make any noises

was asking because i heard that once the belt breaks when you are driving, it could cause major damage to your whole engine.

thanks.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by pcamry
Can someone recommend a place where I can get a timing belt kit for a toyota camry v6 thats a good deal please? I have a limited budget. Its for 2000 camry

bro got his timing belt change....parts w/ belt & water pump was like about $200 at dealership...

labor was $150 so total was about $350 - $400....

dont forget to change the water pump too since it is there.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM

yes car stopped and die out and didn't make any noise. As matter of fact I restarted it and it just kept cranking but engine never runs as if there is no fuel symptom.

What happens is that timing belt has ribbed pattern grooves which catch on crankshaft bearing which has ribbed groves that catch the timing belt and turn the crankshaft starting the main engine cyclinders. the timing belt also catches the top camshaft which also has same ribbed catch timing belt turning the camshaft.

No timing belt breakes it does not destroy the engine on the toyotas. But if it was on a honda then yes, damage will occur. I think it is called a interface free engine design---atleast I think it's called that.

I have been running 70K+++ since original timing belt broke on side of road and the engine still runs good.

Originally Posted by tvn_1010
i couldn't agree more...critical parts should be purchased at dealership.

question - when your belt broke @ 90k. what happened?
- did the car just stopped or die out
- did it make any noises

was asking because i heard that once the belt breaks when you are driving, it could cause major damage to your whole engine.

thanks.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:12 PM

If your car timing belt is being replaced for first time then don't replace the waterpump...assuming your car is only like 90k miles. Then when your car comes to 180k miles, then replace waterpump and use toyota waterpump.

I replaced my timing belt and waterpump at same time around 90k when belt broke on side of road. Independent shop did the work and put in aftermaket parts which I found out later was junk because after 20k miles later, waterpump bearing went bad. Luckily when the shop did the work, I had them give me back my original parts back which included the original toyota water pump.

So then this time, I went to toyota and bought original toyota belt, tensioner bearing, new spring. And I put back in the original toyota water pump which already had 90k miles on it , put in new waterpump gasket. To this day the car runs great with toyota timing belt and original waterpum.. The car now has 170k miles which means the original waterpump has about 150k miles and its running like a champ.

My 90 toyota truck still has original waterpump running at 150k miles. And I had a 91 toyota previal got it at 145k miles and drove it for another 120k miles--total of about 260k or so miles. Which I believe was the original waterpump...

the key thing to water pump is good timing belt conditions and good maintainance of water coolant.

Originally Posted by pcamry