DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Default wont idle

Hello I am new to this forum I hope someone can help me out I have a 2000 camry with the 4 cyl engine and I recently ran into a problem the car would not start I knew my battery was weak so I replaced it and the car still would not start so I started fooling around and pushed down on the gas pedal and the car started but when I let go of the pedal it stalls so I disconnected a vacuum line on the intake manifold and now the car idles but barley the vacuum line is connected to what looks like a diaphragm that the throttle cable pulley stops on? any ideas

Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

You might check the operation of the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. This valve regulates the amount of bypass air around the throttle plate to control idle speed.

The vacuum line may be running to the throttle opener. This device mechanically opens the throttle slightly when the engine is off. When the engine is running vacuum pulls a diaphragm down, the result is the throttle now closes slightly and rests against the throttle stop.

By removing the vacuum hose the throttle is a little more open allowing more air to pass into the engine.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Default wont idle

Is it possible to have to much vacuum at the throttle opener because it seems that the vacuum pulls back the throttle opener to the stop and it stalls would a clogged IAC cause this? and is it posible that the throttle opener itself is not funtioning correctly?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

The throttle opener should be pulled all the way back as there is no intermediate position.

The IAC valve can get dirty and not function properly, sometimes it fails. The device has a small motor that opens/closes the air valve based on computer output.

A Google search of the words "cleaning 5S-FE IAC valve" will produce hits describing the procedure.