ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2003 Camry Automatically Locks Doors

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Default 2003 Camry Automatically Locks Doors

Hello:
My wife keeps complaining about our 2003 Camry because even if she closes the doors without locking them with the key fab, she can return within minutes and all doors are locked. Is there a safety feature that automatically locks the doors on these cars? How can one turn this feature off or does the dealer need to perform this change via the internal computer? Thanks for any help.

Michael

Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

There is typically a method via a number ign key install/removed cycles, door open/close cycles, etc to program what functions you want.

The link below provides something, suggest reviewing posts at the site plus do an internet search.

Disable Auto Locks - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Old 01-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Default Auto door locks

When helping a friend get her car out of the ditch (2003 Camry LE) this morning after she slid off the road in the snow, I apparently did a stupid thing: I had to move my car out of the way to drive hers up the driveway. I put her car in park with the ignition on and the car running and 4 way flashers on partially on the road and partially on the shoulder. I came back a minute later to find the car running key in the ignition, all 4 doors locked and no way to get back in. The only answer was to call AAA and wait 2 hours for help to get the car open. Luckily no one ran into the car and AAA was successful in breaking into the car.
I live in a cold climate and contacted the local dealer and made 3 calls to 800 331-4331, which I assume is the Toyota American Corporate Headquarters. Neither the local dealer nor the Headquarters representatives have ever heard of this happening before. I asked then what if it was 20 below zero and I had locked my cell in the car and it was in the country with no one around? They said they understood my concern but that I was out of luck.
After the 3rd call the representative agreed that if we had it checked out at the local dealer there is a chance they might reimburse the owner for the diagnosis if she called headquarters.
I really called them as I like my experience with 4 new Toyotas over the years, Tercel wagon 4WD, Van Wagon, Gen 1 and 3 Priuses, many recommendations to friends and family and two used Toyota vehicles over the years. I even conveyed to the rep that I had purchased an extended factory warranty in excess of $1,000 on the '10 Prius I owned and they has zero expenses toward that gift I gave them.

Sorry for the rant from a newbie.

Is that normal for auto locks to behave that way? If so, Toyota ought to send warning decals to dealers to have installed on all 2003 Camrys in my humble opinion.

John

Old 07-06-2021, 07:40 AM

In my experiences with my 2003 Camry and it's autolock, when the keys are in the ignition and after a couple minutes, 3 doors will lock but NOT the drivers door