ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2006 Camry XLE remotes not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 06:34 AM
Unhappy 2006 Camry XLE remotes not working

Hi Everyone,
New member here looking for help with a problem with both of my remotes not working. First, the obvious, replaced the battery, did not work. Next, reprogrammed both remotes, did not work. I then replaced the keyless entry door control receiver module with a used one which is Toyota Part# 89741-AA020. Both remotes now worked a couple of times but the instances were sporadic. They would work one time, but not the next. The last couple of times they did not work at all and I have to unlock the car through the driver's side main door. Inside, the locks all operate as they should. The wiring underneath seems to be in good shape with no signs of corrosion.
Any suggestions on what to look for next would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Bill

Old 07-19-2020, 12:28 PM
cj1

Possible used part faulty.
If you place remote next to receiver does it work 100%?
If so then power/ground to receiver ok and possible faulty receiver.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Default 2006 Camry XLE remotes not working

Thank you cj1 for replying to my problem. A little more background: the original factory door control receiver module (89741-AA020) started to act in an intermittent manner, working some times , then, not working. This held true for both remotes-they either both worked, or both didn't work. When I purchased the used receiver from a source that sold many of these and professed that the module was tested and in working order, I decided to take a chance based on the fact that a new module costs over $500. When my mechanic put the used receiver module in and reprogrammed both remotes, everything worked fine. Then, the same situation occurred like with the original factory receiver module-both remotes worked several times, then just stopped. Currently neither one works. I went out to the car and held the remote right next to the rear c pillar where the receiver is installed and nothing worked.

Based on what you told me then, are we possibly looking at a faulty power/ground wiring issue? My mechanic has access to Toyota wiring diagrams and any suggestions on where a common location for this type of problem exists or can be found would be appreciated.

Bill

Old 07-19-2020, 03:55 PM
cj1

Yes, he'll need to verify power/ground/signal wires. Also that the receiver is working and re transmitting signals to the ECU.
The common fix is to replace the receiver. This didn't work for you so the power/ground/wiring/circuits between the receiver and ECU could be at fault.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:19 PM

Thanks again cj1. I will pass this information on next week and let you and every one else know how things turned out.

Bill

Old 07-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Default 2006 Camry XLE remotes not working

Well, got the bad news today. All the power/ground/wiring circuits going into the ECU from everything else are fine-it's a part inside the ECU that's bad. A little discouraging since everything else in the car works fine and this is a mint-looking salsa red pearl XLE sedan. For now, I'll just have to unlock the car manually from the driver's side.
Thanks again to cj1 for helping me narrow down what the cause of my problem was.

Bill