ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

96 radio/speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Default 96 radio/speaker problem

Hello everyone new here i have a 96 Camry recently bought from a friend of the family to replace my 92 theres a few problems with the car but none to major and it is in better condition than my old 92.

well i posted this in the electronics section for a reason. when i bought the car the back speakers were not working which was fine i planed to replace all the speakers anyway, as with the radio head unit. but about two weeks after i had it the front speakers the only ones that work went out. i began trouble shooting the speakers and found out both of the front two are still in good working condition. i though maybe the factory radio so i replaced it with my sony aftermarket unit from the 92 and still nothing. i know some sound is getting to the speaker as the sony has a selection tone when changing stations or picking songs and the beep goes through the speakers and can be heard still. both radios seem to work with full power. i am almost positive theres a wiring problem somewhere i just have no clue where it could be. or where to look exactly all fuses seem to be perfectly fine its becoming a real big head ache because everything points to it working just fine.

does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and/or where i can look to see whats wrong

thanks all for your help

Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 radio/speaker problem

Does the radio have a remote amp, how many speakers 4 or 6?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 PM

the radio has no remote amp and its a 4 speaker system

Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Rear speaker wires are:

Right Rear-Red and White, Left Rear-Black and Yellow or Light Green and Blue. Brown wire is ground.

The wiring appears to split left and right. Left speaker wiring running down to the lower left drivers side kick panel to a junction box then down the drivers side rocker arm area and inside the trunk, up the back to the speaker.

The right speaker wires run to the lower right kick panel relay box, down the right side kick panel area to the speaker.

If you are sure the radio works, check the wiring with an ohm meter. Might start in the trunk area where it is possible something could have damaged the wires.

If radio works and does not lose station memory the fuses are OK. Should be the Cig/Radio and Dome fuses.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 PM

i don't believe this car has ever had a after market system or different speakers but both of my rear speaker have black and black/red wires going to them, but from the head unit plugs they seem to be the colors you described, could this be a faulty wiring job but i am still not sure why the front two wont work

Old 01-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

After checking, Red and Black wires at the speaker are possible. The wires must change color somewhere along the line, perhaps at the junction or relay boxes.

Check wire resistance with ohm meter.

Check the radio output by running a wire directly from the radio to a speaker. If OK might consider running another wire from the radio to the speakers. The rocker panel plastic trim pulls up, it would not be that difficult.