ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Brake system light problem

Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Default Brake system light problem

Hi!

The brake system light (same as hand brake light, see attachment) on the dashboard of my '91 Camry GLI 2.0 (manual gear) stays lit all the time while driving.

When I start the car the light is off, but as soon as I press the brake pedal once the light illuminates. The brake fluid level is ok and the brake pedal feels normal. The light is on despite the parking brake is not activated.

This problem emerged after I left it for a repair concering an other issue and had my registration plate lights changed at the same time. Ever since it's been the same, once I brake the light stays lit.

I've tried to mess around (and clean) with the contact to the rear brake lights without any results.

Any ideas on why the light stays on?

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Brake system light problem-brake-system-light.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

As you know the light is activated if either the emergency brake is on or the brake fluid reservoir is low.

The brake fluid and E-brake switches if turned ON will ground the return electrical power wire from the indicator bulb and allow the bulb to illuminate. The bulb always has power.

The brake light switch is not in the wiring circuit.

It happens that the float switch on the brake fluid reservoir cap sticks or is bad. You can disconnect the wiring to cap switch (unground the bulb wiring) and determine if the light now stays off.

Of the E-brake switch and be sticking, bad, etc. This switch is located at the base of the E-brake handle.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:59 AM
Default Question

Thanks for your answer.

I'll have to check the brake fluid and E-brake switches.

But if these are somehow faulty, shouldn't the light be activated at all times? Now it is activated only after I press the brake pedal (or pulling the hand brake) for the first time after starting the engine.

In other words, when I start the car without having the parking brake activated and without pressing the brake pedal, the light is off.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

What you state makes sense. The issue is the wiring diagrams do no show the brake pedal switch being incorporated into this warning light system.

Does the car have a trunk lid, if so sometimes the wiring harness going between the chassis and trunk can fail due to flexing. The result is power feedback via the brake system to the dash console. This can cause strange problems.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:15 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by toyomoho
As you know the light is activated if either the emergency brake is on or the brake fluid reservoir is low.

The brake fluid and E-brake switches if turned ON will ground the return electrical power wire from the indicator bulb and allow the bulb to illuminate. The bulb always has power.

The brake light switch is not in the wiring circuit.

It happens that the float switch on the brake fluid reservoir cap sticks or is bad. You can disconnect the wiring to cap switch (unground the bulb wiring) and determine if the light now stays off.

Of the E-brake switch and be sticking, bad, etc. This switch is located at the base of the E-brake handle.
toyomoho is car problem expert,lol