ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Ecu memory

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 09:52 PM
Default Ecu memory

Hello, I currently own a 2002 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder, 2.4 litter car that has 126000 miles on it. I am currently dealing with a situation where my car is not passing the smog test because of problems with the ECU. I noticed that the car battery was draining fast so I replaced the battery. Then I checked the codes and it turned out that the VSS and the o2 sensor were failing. I replaced them both and replaced a vacuum hose but the car was still draining. I then took it to a mechanic and it turned out that the car alarm, which was an aftermarket one, was a defective alarm and was causing the parasite drain in the car. So he removed the car alarm and the car is no longer draining. Now I am driving the car so that there is some memory in the ECU, but after recently taking it to the smog test, it failed the test because the ECU was still not ready. So I am posting this post to see whether or not if the car needs to be driven more or if there are possible problems with the ECU. What do you people think?

Old 11-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, more driving should solve the issue, but.

Make sure there are no longer any trouble codes or pending trouble codes. This can be done with an OBDII reader.

If all the cars problems were fixed the computer will need to run self checks to confirm this.

Each component monitored by the computer has its own self check procedure. The procedural can require driving at a certain MPH, a certain throttle setting, acceleration, deceleration, a number of engine on/off cycles (driving trips) and more. It's not just more driving but driving in a particular way that satisfies each readiness check..

To pass the emission's test typically all computer readiness checks must be complete.

If the mechanic completely reset the computer then ALL readiness checks will default back to not ready. It can then take some time (driving) to get them to change to ready status Its not just driving but driving cycles but the type of driving and driving cycles. Drive to someplace, turn off engine, drive back is one driving cycle. .

Search the internet for threads on 2002 Camry emissions monitors not ready. This will find tips as what kind of driving may help set the checks to ready status.