ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Electrics fault... But where

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Default Electrics fault... But where

Hey

I just brought a 03 camry sportivo and having some dramas with it. First two days i had it i had to have a new engine put in under warrenty (Someone threaded the head bolts causing a cooling issue) Now i have it back with a second hand motor (but half the km's of the old one) and im having an issue with the electrics.

All thats happening is things are browning out. When something is switched (up to high beam. Rear demister. AC. etc) the head unit (stock) will restart the headlights will dim and then it picks up again. The biggest problem is, It doesnt happen all the time. which makes the fault even more annoying. I cant seem to be able to re-created parked and mostly seems to happen at night when wet. (im sure its happened at night dry as well)

Ive taken it to the mechanic (because if i can find it quick the repair is under warrenty.) He tested the battery the altinator and the earthing points and he cant think of what it could be. He also tried re creating the senario and couldnt make it happen.

Anyone please for any information you could give me i would be forever greatful. Its so annoying because im sure when i put in a sound system its gonna be out of warrenty and become a full time problem

Thanks, Stevo.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Electrics fault... But where

Was this an issue before the engine change?

Suggest checking the wiring. Battery cables and their terminals at both ends. The termials at the battery can also corrode where the cable joins the terminal.

As the motor was removed perhaps a ground cable from engine to frame was not properly installed or other wire(s). Also check the wiring between the alt and battery.

With engine running and the electrical items on, have someone watch the headlights as you move the wiring around.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:09 PM

I dont know if the fault was there before the engine change because i only had it for two days before It kicked the bucket. Is there some kind of voltage regulator in these cars? Im a sparkie and some guys at work said maybe its that?

I had the earths checked on the car there all supposedly there and tight :S

Old 10-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

The voltage regulator is located on the back of the alt.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:49 AM

How can i test this regulator? I dont think that its a loose wire or loose connection because its not movement based, Its based off electronic usage (ie regulator probs?)

Im gonna try your shaking wires trick tonight while its dark anyways.... Ill let you know if i find anything.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 AM

Ok what is this? I saw it floating around not fixed down. It has a wire running to the active and neutral of the battery, which is also fused. And another runs to an earth. All i can see is a blinking green light on it.

Otherwise no loose connections. Infact all the wiring is really really neat

Old 10-06-2008, 09:07 AM

Ok i found something. Its a card type thing. looks like some kind of computer pannel i guess. Its about the size of my hand. It has one cable running to the active and neutral of the battery (fused) and another running to the earth of the car. The pannel itself has a flashing green light on it. What is it?

I checked over the wiring though. Everything is perfect that cards the only thing thats loose and floating around.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Have no idea of what the card is? Would assume if it was Toyota installed it would be bolted down some where and not loose.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 AM

Hm i think ill arrange to meet the mechanic next weekend. Because for a starter that shouldnt be like that. And my mechanic (because i dont goto toyota normaly) and he thinks the regulator is busted. But again will have to see. How is it best for me to test the regulator?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

What model engine?