ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

First Time Camry Owner In Need Of Some Assistance!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Default First Time Camry Owner In Need Of Some Assistance!

Hello all! I recently acquired my first Toyota Camry its a 1992 2.2L automatic LE model. I am finding some strange electrical issues I am hoping someone else has had to deal with and can maybe help me out! First the replace bulb light is lit on the dash but there are no bulbs out on the outside of the car I can find. When you first start the car it isn't on but the second you step on the brakes it comes on yet there are no brake lights out. I do however think this may tie into my second issue. On the dash where the shift pattern illuminates between the tach and the speedo every time you step on the brakes the little orange square around the R for reverse lights up and I do mean every time and in every gear! Lastly the reverse lights lag coming on. You put the car in reverse and it takes maybe 10-15 feet for them to illuminate sometimes they also go off before you take the car out of reverse. I really want to think this is all related but as I said this is my first Camry so I can't be sure. Any help would greatly be appreciated! Initial impressions of the car are great! It drives nice and the engine is fantastic even with 258k miles on it. If it continues this way it will for sure go on my "will own another list"
Thanks again in advance!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

The replace bulb system monitors the tail and brake lights.

If having issues with the gear indicator lights could be a wiring issue.

Check for damaged wiring inside the trunk where the wire harness goes from the chassis to the trunk lid. Lid usage causes flexing which can damage the wiring.

The wiring also runs power to the reverse lights.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 AM

New owner myself. Good luck Mech

Old 02-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Default First Time Camry Owner In Need Of Some Assistance

I had the same thing happen on my 01 Camry. I checked the tail lights and none were out. Later a friendly local cop told me my license plate illumination lights were out. That turned out to be the problem. I didn't even think to look at them. All it cost was the the cost of the bulb. The cop was a good guy and let me go!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by charliemike56
I had the same thing happen on my 01 Camry. I checked the tail lights and none were out. Later a friendly local cop told me my license plate illumination lights were out. That turned out to be the problem. I didn't even think to look at them. All it cost was the the cost of the bulb. The cop was a good guy and let me go!
I checked them out, they both are working. I haven't had a chance to check the wiring running through from the trunk lid. It's been too cold out or I've been too lazy or some combination of the two! Lol I did however discover another electrical problem. Sometimes the wipers don't turn off when you put the switch in the off position. I have the fuse pulled right now to keep them off as I came out one morning to finding them on and the battery almost drained! Is there a fix for this or am I looking at a new multi-function switch? They don't appear to be doing delay wipe either. All this stuff is minor just aggravating and when you don't have a heated garage to work on things you are at the mercy of mother nature! I am in Minnesota so I am begging for spring at this point!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mouse27
New owner myself. Good luck Mech
Welcome to you as well! Minor issues aside this is one fantastic running/driving car for having 20 years and 258k miles on it! Only personal complaint thus far is that it is a little bit low to the ground which in of itself is not a bad thing but I have a bad back so some days getting out of it are a bit of a challenge. What year is yours?