ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Fuel Gauge not working on 92' Camry CSi Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Default Fuel Gauge not working on 92' Camry CSi Sedan

Just bought my car a week ago from a private seller. Found out that my fuel gauge is not working. After filling my fuel to full and starting the ignition, the Fuel Gauge still reads below empty. I would like to find out what the problem is. Please let me know what to do and how to go about it. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

The fuel tank sensor could be bad.

The fuel tank has a sensor like a toilet tank float. The float moves with the fuel level, it is connected to a variable resistor. The resistance in ohms changes with the fuel level.

A Google search on fuel gauge operation will result in hits as to how it operates.

Sensor access is by removing the lower seat cushion exposing an oval plate behind the driver seat. Removing the plate will reveal the upper fuel tank and sender access port.

Use an ohm meter to check the resistance between the Yellow/Blue and Brown wires.

Should be 3 ohms with full tank and 110 ohm empty. If the tank level is in-between the ohm reading will be somewhere between 3 and 110 ohm.

If you need to remove the sensor unit, the access port top unbolts. The sensor can be pulled out. Note- the sensor and fuel pump are together as a unit but can be separated once they are removed from the tank.