ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Possible electronic/wiring gremlin? (Will run but only start after disconnecting batt

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 06:14 PM
Default Possible electronic/wiring gremlin? (Will run but only start after disconnecting batt

I recently got a 93' 4cyl auto with close to 300k.

When I got it the guy said it was the cold start injector but it would start with a little ether, from what I can tell from the Haynes manual the 5SFE doesn't have a cold start injector. So I started diagnosing the usual (fuel, spark, air, timing).

New parts as of now are:
Plugs
Battery
Distributor
Ignitor/ICM
Fuel pump and sock
Cleaned injectors with new gaskets
Cleaned IAC and TPS (I havent checked the resistances with the proper feeler gauges in the throttle yet)

The current predicament:
New ignitor was installed today, afterwards it fired right up. Drove it to oriellys to get new headlight bulbs and then it started right up, drove it to the car wash and washed it and then it was crank but no start. Unhooked the negative battery terminal because that seemed to work before (no idea why) let it sit long enough for a cigarette and when I hooked it back up she fired right up. Got home and immediately after I turned it off its back to crank no start.

So it will run and drive, idles smooth, no surges or misses while idling or going down the road. The tach doesnt work but it never has since Ive owned it. Before the speedo would slowly creep up after the ignition was switched on but after getting it running a few times that stopped. The light on the dash that I'm assuming is for a tail/signal light out stays on even though I just replaced all the bad bulbs.

I'm thinking a bad wire somewhere or bad ground? I've checked what I can tell to be all related fuses and relays but I could still be missing some.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 11-14-2023, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

When the engine does not start is there ign spark?

Does the distributor have a built in or separate ign coil?

Use a volt meter to check for +12V to the ign and injectors.

Old 11-14-2023, 03:27 PM

The coil is inside the distributor, I'll check power on those and get back to you.