Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

02-06 Camry 2GR FE Engine Swap Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Default 02-06 Camry 2GR FE Engine Swap Possible?

Hey guys, been thinking about the possibility of turbo'n my I4 06 Camry for a while. When i got the idea of doing an engine swap for a 2GR FE (out of a later Aurion or Camry).

If it is possible the power would be amazing, near double. Better than a turbo job.

So what I want to know is, is it possible at all. Or was it a dumb thought.
Would the new Engine and gearbox etc actually fit inside one of these camry?

Just a thought

Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

There are turbo kits for Camry with 2AZ-FE engine. An internet search on "turbocharged Camry 2AZ-FE" will produce hits.

If the 2GR-FE was an option in your year of car all V6 parts should bolt on to the Camry chassis. If going this route best to find a complete parts car with V6 as there will a host of large and small parts plus wiring and computer that will need to be swapped.

A turbo kit appears the easiest mod unless you can find a parts car cheap.

Might check at the Toyotanation.com and au.toyotaownersclub.com Camry sites to determine if someone has already done either of these mods for your generation of Camry.

One other issue to research is how the Camry engine would handle the turbo. The US Camry model 2AZ-FE has had oil burning and head gasket failure issues. The turbo charged Scion Tc has the same engine model but does not appear to be the same engine having incorporated changes from Toyota for use with the a turbocharger.