Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2001 Camry high idle when warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Default 2001 Camry high idle when warm

I have a 2001 Camry 2.2L. I noticed that when I first start it the engine idles at about 1000 RPMs. After it has warmed up, it idles at about 1300-1400. I'm not sure where to start with this. I don't see or hear any obvious vacuum leaks. Any help would be very helpful. I would rather not take it to a shop as I like to do as much as I can myself.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest try cleaning IAC valve and throttle bore. An internet search on "cleaning 5SFE IAC valve" will generate hits on how to do this.

There is a coolant sensor (ETC) that tells computer the coolant temp and based on this set idle RPM controlled by the IAC valve. The sensor is located on the return coolant manifold from the head to radiator. Has two wires (not one) colors may be green/black and brown.

Use an ohm meter to check sensor temp vrs ohms:
At 68F reading should be approx 2.5K ohm
140F 1.6K ohm
176F 0.35K ohm
212F 0.2K ohm

Make sure the throttle stop dashpot is fully retracted when engine is running. There is a vacuum power dashpot that when the engine is off forces the throttle open slightly to prevent sticking when the engine starts.

Location is on the throttle body, look for a small can with a vacuum hose running to it When engine running the button on the dashpot is retracted. Make sure when engine running the throttle arm is sitting on the throttle screw, not propped up by the dashpot button.

Note, the screw does not set idle but throttle valve/throttle bore clearance, don't adjust the screw in an attempt to reset idle.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 PM

As Joey said,

Check the IAC first.

I had a similar problem, but mine was a small mechanical fault (split) in a hose connected to the underside of the inlet manifold. When cold the car would idle between 900-1100 rpm, but would go up to 1400-1500 when warm.

Found it by spraying carby/throttle body cleaner on all my rubber hoses, revs increased when I sprayed the split hose.

Hope that helps

Old 09-21-2023, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Suggest try cleaning IAC valve and throttle bore. An internet search on "cleaning 5SFE IAC valve" will generate hits on how to do this.

There is a coolant sensor (ETC) that tells computer the coolant temp and based on this set idle RPM controlled by the IAC valve. The sensor is located on the return coolant manifold from the head to radiator. Has two wires (not one) colors may be green/black and brown.

Use an ohm meter to check sensor temp vrs ohms:
At 68F reading should be approx 2.5K ohm
140F 1.6K ohm
176F 0.35K ohm
212F 0.2K ohm

Make sure the throttle stop dashpot is fully retracted when engine is running. There is a vacuum power dashpot that when the engine is off forces the throttle open slightly to prevent sticking when the engine starts.

Location is on the throttle body, look for a small can with a vacuum hose running to it When engine running the button on the dashpot is retracted. Make sure when engine running the throttle arm is sitting on the throttle screw, not propped up by the dashpot button.

Note, the screw does not set idle but throttle valve/throttle bore clearance, don't adjust the screw in an attempt to reset idle.
I cleaned idle air control valve and throttle body, the same. I also changed what you said dashpot controlled by vacuum hose, not work. I will check coolant sensor.

Old 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by pandaii
I cleaned idle air control valve and throttle body, the same. I also changed what you said dashpot controlled by vacuum hose, not work. I will check coolant sensor.
I bought a new idle air control valve and put on, the same ****. I cleaned the codes and added wire to the throttle body gas pedal pull spring stop screw to make the throttle body major air door open ajar, try to avoid the possibility of triggering p0106, and found those 2 codes come back again. But, today I found that I missed putting on 2 hoses on throttle body. Today I'm going to find out which code come on again by resetting codes and driving.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:48 PM

Fluctuating idle RPM in your 2001 Camry may be caused by issues like a dirty or faulty idle air control valve (IACV), a vacuum leak, or a malfunctioning throttle position sensor. Start by cleaning the IACV and throttle body. Check for loose or damaged vacuum hoses, intake manifold gaskets, and the PCV valve. Inspect the throttle position sensor for proper function. If issues persist, consider cleaning or replacing the mass airflow sensor. Utilize a diagnostic tool to scan for any trouble codes. Regular maintenance, such as replacing the air filter and spark plugs, can also contribute to smoother idling.