Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2015 Camry starter not working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 09:43 PM
Default 2015 Camry starter not working.

Greetings. New guy here. Car has been running fine for last 6 years, No issues at all. Went camping this weekend . Came home and needed to move car to get camper in driveway, Turned key, Nothing. Battery has full charge. I checked fuses and relays. I tried the jump relay to see if starter would work. Nothing. Tommows plan is to jack car up and see if I'm getting power to the starter. Any thing else I should look for. Very strange it would just quit. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Your stating you tried jumping the solenoid to power the motor directly.directly and nothing?

If you have jumper cables AND enough space to access the starter terminal can bypass the wiring all together.

Starter motors do just die. In the old days one might hit it with a hammer (use a wooden block between hammer and starter) to determine if starts working again.

If no luck, remove it and test it on the bench as never know.

If replacing it with a rebuilt unit, HIGHLY suggest you test the replacement on then bench before installing to make sure it actually works. Has happened rebuilds are bad out of the box!! Sometimes it takes three tries to get one good unit! Testing first saves a LOT of install and remove time later.

Denso is my preferred brand for Toyota as Toyota owns a large stake in the company and gets parts from them. Quality has always been good to date.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:22 AM

So here's what I found so far. Removed starter and had it tested. Works fine. Pulled the starter relay and tested connects, when I had someone turn the key on and off. No power at any of the connectors. Any suggestions on were I should look next? How does power get to the stater relay? Thanks.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Are you stating when the ign key is turned to start, there is no power to the starter relay?

The starter circuit is locked out if the trans is NOT in Park or Neutral. Try both gears.

Does the car have a Smart Key? The Smart Key complicates the wiring circuit.

If the car has them, check 30A STA/AM2 and 7.5A AM2 fuses. The 30A fuse may be hard wired to the fuse/relay box. There is small plug in starter relay between the key ign system and starter relay. Look in the engine compartment fuse/relay boxes.

Does the car have any aftermarket theft or remote start system?