Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

87 Camry ? about idle dropping low after starting the car when it is hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Default 87 Camry ? about idle dropping low after starting the car when it is hot?

Hello to all,
I have a 87 Camry 2.0 5 speed and have a problem with the idle dropping low when I start the car ONLY after it is extremely hot (been traveling far). The weird thing is it only does it intermittently and it can easily be fixed by either giving the car a lot of gas (revving up the motor) or turn the car off (or let it conk out) then restart the engine. Okay so I am giving up here the following is a list of what I have done to fix the problem.....
egr valve replaced & cleaned, egr valve solenoid/modulator inspected and tiny filter replaced, all vacuums lines inspected visually and by hand thoroughly, sensors i.e. tps and numerous others unplugged while the engine was running to test them and make sure they were working properly. In addition throttle body cleaned thoroughly, pcv/hose/tube cleaned & replaced. So again I am perplexed here as to what to check next or where to look? Can someone please help/advise me here and what to look for next and what they thing it might be. I am sure someone on these forums has had it happen to them or something similar look forward to hearing from you thanks.
Dave

Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by hardyrxp
Hello to all,
I have a 87 Camry 2.0 5 speed and have a problem with the idle dropping low when I start the car ONLY after it is extremely hot (been traveling far). The weird thing is it only does it intermittently and it can easily be fixed by either giving the car a lot of gas (revving up the motor) or turn the car off (or let it conk out) then restart the engine. Okay so I am giving up here the following is a list of what I have done to fix the problem.....
egr valve replaced & cleaned, egr valve solenoid/modulator inspected and tiny filter replaced, all vacuums lines inspected visually and by hand thoroughly, sensors i.e. tps and numerous others unplugged while the engine was running to test them and make sure they were working properly. In addition throttle body cleaned thoroughly, pcv/hose/tube cleaned & replaced. So again I am perplexed here as to what to check next or where to look? Can someone please help/advise me here and what to look for next and what they thing it might be. I am sure someone on these forums has had it happen to them or something similar look forward to hearing from you thanks.
Dave
Dave: did you ever sort this out? I am having a very similar issue with 1993 Camry with 5SFE, auto. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Did you clean the IAC valve?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Default hi

Hello there,
That is a good question I don't know is the answer for sure. However I did find a small vaccum leak in one of the rubber vaccum lines. The problem is I won't know if that fixed the problem until it gets hot again and that will not be for a long time as its cold now.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

A vacuum leak can cause all kinds of issues.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 AM

Why so many this message?