Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

car dies at random

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Default car dies at random

hey all, im new to this forum. I have a 98 camry 4 cyl with about 172000 miles on it. about a month ago i was driving down the freeway and suddenly the car died. then, i tried over and over again to start it up but no go. it would crank, but would not run. I changed the fuel filter, battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, put premium in, new oil, new air filter... none of this helped. I recently noticed that its 99% of the time under acceleration that it happens. once the car has been sitting for a while, it will start up again but never sure how long it will stay running. help me out please.

im thinking its either electrical or its the fuel injectors..

(i posted this in electrical as well because it falls under both)

Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Default RE: car dies at random

Do you know if you have spark when you try to restart it and it doesn't restart? If you don't have spark during this scenario, I'd think it would be the either hall effect switch, ignition module or coil. Does your car have a distributor? The hall effect switch would be in the distributor if it has one, the ignition module may be as well.If it doesn't have a distributor,the hall effectswitchwould probably be right by the front pulley of the engine picking up signals from the trigger wheel. The hall effect switch may be known as something else, basically all it does is send a signal to the ignition module telling the coil(s) when to turn on and off. If your car has multiple coils, it's likely not a coil problem, because the odds of more than 1 coil going out at the same time intermittantly are impossible.