Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Car will only accelerate in reverse Not Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:57 AM
Default Car will only accelerate in reverse Not Drive

Okay So Everything Started After One Morning I Was Driving My Mom To Work And Suddenly After Coming To A Stop I Pressed The Gas Pedal And Only Got A Loud Reving Noise. I Was Able To Get It To The Side If The Road. After Looking Closely I Could See I Had A Busted Hose Coming From The Tranny To The Radiator. So I Added Fluid Because The Car Was In A Tow Zone And Was Able To Move It 1 Block Away. Then After Getting The Vehicle Towed Home Replaced The Hose And Refilled With Tranny Fluid. Thinking My Problems Were Behind Me But When I Went To Drive The Vehicle It Would Not Accelerate in Drive. I Would Only Get A Loud Reving Noise. The Car Will Drive Fine In Reverse. Please Help Thank You

Old 01-26-2019, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Trans operation uses trans fluid which operates as a hydraulic fluid. The fluid also lubricate and cools the trans parts. If the trans runs low on fluid it will start to slip, become damaged from lack of lubrication, etc.

Check trans fluid level. This being at the full hot mark, trans fluid hot, engine on and in park. Check that the shifter lever arm is moving to reverse when the gear shifter is in reverse.

If all OK the lack of fluid may have damaged the trans reverse clutch due to overheating. This requires rebuilding the trans or replacement.