Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Swap-Check Engine light/bad fuel mileage-HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 11:09 PM
Default Engine Swap-Check Engine light/bad fuel mileage-HELP!

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry 2.2L long story- swapped the engine with a 2.0 engine from Japan. They said all the components would bolt up off the 2.2L. ECU should be good. The business that sold the engine said they do this all the time.

I am getting a check engine light and terrible fuel mileage. I am getting a PO401 Code.

The shop said 3 things need to be switched over 1) Intake Manifold 2) Exhaust Manifold 3) Fuel injectors?
Would anything else need to be switched over?

Fuel injectors- I have read they are the same for a 2.2L as for a 2.0L. I'm NOT sure that my mechanic switched injectors, I know he did NOT switch the Intake Manifold bc I had to switch it. I am NOT 100% sure he changed the exhaust manifold either. I am assuming he did. Would these affect the fuel mileage?

I am getting the code PO401-EGR. I'm not sure if changing the EGR is the problem.
Would the car throw a code if the injectors were NOT correct? If so, what code?
Would NOT having the proper Exhaust Manifold throw a code? If so what code?

Does anyone have a diagram of the ALL the hoses on exhaust/ intake manifold or that would affect the EGR and would throw the code? I want to make sure everything is hooked up. Or provide pictures of a 2000 Camry with 2.2L. I would like to see the back of the intake and if there is a bracket with hoses? I know there is a diagram on the hood..I would like to see pics of all the hoses.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

For US Camry the 2.0L was replaced by the 5SFE.in 1992. The engine was still used in non-US cars but who knows what changes Toyota made to the Japan version over the years.

Did you buy the engine from a business?

Did a mechanic install the engine or you?

P0401 is a lack or too low of exhaust gas re-circulation. Was the EGR system installed on the replacement engine and connected to the ECU?

Lack of EGR by itself is not going to cause terrible mileage.

What parts did you swap again?

Did you install and hook up the 02-A/F sensors. Sensor issues can cause bad MPG.

Is the MAP sensor connected?

The 2.0 is a smaller displacement then the 2,0L. If you use the 5SFE injectors and computer the engine may run too rich.
There is typically a vacuum hose and emission system diagram on the bottom of the hood.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:08 PM

For US Camry the 2.0L was replaced by the 5SFE.in 1992. The engine was still used in non-US cars but who knows what changes Toyota made to the Japan version over the years.

Yes,

Soken Trade Corporation

12055 Sherman Way

North Hollywood, CA 91605

Toll Free (800) 598-3535

The mechanic installed my engine. However, I'm not sure what he all installed from the old engine. Everything from the old 2.2L was supposed to be bolted on to the 2.0L core. When I got the car back I had a check engine light on and it was getting bad fuel mileage. I thought the light was from the engine conversion. My mechanic said he would take the EGR off and it would gain fuel mileage. He did not switch over the intake manifold and the old one was on there from Japan. I just put the proper intake on with the EGR. I do not think he switched the fuel injectors, but a search shows they are interchangeable on these 2 engines as well as 87 other models. So I'm assuming they are good. I sent pics today to the company I bought the engine from and the guy says he thinks the exhaust manifold it the American version. So I am assuming I am good there.
P0401 is a lack or too low of exhaust gas re-circulation. Was the EGR system installed on the replacement engine and connected to the ECU?
I'm not sure about connected to ECU...I remember hooking all the hoses up. I cannot remember if there was an electrical connector on the EGR. I did hook it to the VSV for EGR and that had an electrical port that I hooked up. They say the VSV is the most common PO401 code problem. I did check the VSV before I put it in and hooking it to power I heard the clicking noises like it was supposed too.

Right, and a side note I was getting bad fuel mileage before the engine change. The old engine was blown bc a friend put truck oil in it when he borrowed it. However the EGR is off a different car, the VSV for the EGR is the original.
see above
Did you install and hook up the 02-A/F sensors. Sensor issues can cause bad MPG.
I did not, Im assuming they are hooked up..I had the sensor code and replaced them and that did not help the light or fuel mileage. Plus it is not throwing that code.
I hooked the hose up...
The 2.0 is a smaller displacement then the 2,0L. If you use the 5SFE injectors and computer the engine may run too rich.
.well if anything the car has the 2.0L injectors in there now bc im assuming my mechanic did not change over the injectors bc he did not change the other things over.
There is typically a vacuum hose and emission system diagram on the bottom of the hood.
saw it and tried to hook everything up. but i looked at a '99 camry and its not the same as mine. It looks like I may have some more ports and I am not sure if hoses should be hooked to them.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jstephens

Yes,

Soken Trade Corporation

12055 Sherman Way

North Hollywood, CA 91605

Toll Free (800) 598-3535

The mechanic installed my engine. However, I'm not sure what he all installed from the old engine. Everything from the old 2.2L was supposed to be bolted on to the 2.0L core. When I got the car back I had a check engine light on and it was getting bad fuel mileage. I thought the light was from the engine conversion. My mechanic said he would take the EGR off and it would gain fuel mileage. He did not switch over the intake manifold and the old one was on there from Japan. I just put the proper intake on with the EGR. I do not think he switched the fuel injectors, but a search shows they are interchangeable on these 2 engines as well as 87 other models. So I'm assuming they are good. I sent pics today to the company I bought the engine from and the guy says he thinks the exhaust manifold it the American version. So I am assuming I am good there.
I'm not sure about connected to ECU...I remember hooking all the hoses up. I cannot remember if there was an electrical connector on the EGR. I did hook it to the VSV for EGR and that had an electrical port that I hooked up. They say the VSV is the most common PO401 code problem. I did check the VSV before I put it in and hooking it to power I heard the clicking noises like it was supposed too.

Right, and a side note I was getting bad fuel mileage before the engine change. The old engine was blown bc a friend put truck oil in it when he borrowed it. However the EGR is off a different car, the VSV for the EGR is the original.
see above
I did not, Im assuming they are hooked up..I had the sensor code and replaced them and that did not help the light or fuel mileage. Plus it is not throwing that code.
I hooked the hose up...
.well if anything the car has the 2.0L injectors in there now bc im assuming my mechanic did not change over the injectors bc he did not change the other things over.
saw it and tried to hook everything up. but i looked at a '99 camry and its not the same as mine. It looks like I may have some more ports and I am not sure if hoses should be hooked to them.

I do not have bottom port

I have this bracket, but not installed. Some diagrams have it on my car car and some do not. I’m not sure where these hoses go and if my car is supposed to have them. It was attached to the Japanese intake

Old 04-29-2020, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Might make a difference in plumbing if the car is certified to California or Federal emissions. The sticker under the hood should state which.

The computer will be looking for the EGR VSV solenoid coil (ohm resistance).

If poor MPG before and after might check for a plugged exhaust/emissions converter or on the off chance restricted air intake.

If you can might get an ODBII which can check system parameters as in running rich or lean, A/F function, etc.

I suggest first you go to the site below and download the appropriate info your car based on VIN. Then you will know what you should have. Cost is $20 for 2 day usage.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...arch_docs_page

Old 04-29-2020, 08:39 PM

Might make a difference in plumbing if the car is certified to California or Federal emissions. The sticker under the hood should state which.
Federal Emissions
The computer will be looking for the EGR VSV solenoid coil (ohm resistance).
Its there...I checked it with battery and it clicked so its working
If poor MPG before and after might check for a plugged exhaust/emissions converter or on the off chance restricted air intake.

If you can might get an ODBII which can check system parameters as in running rich or lean, A/F function, etc.
I am doing this tomorrow morning and having them check more in depth and erase the code to see if it comes back
I suggest first you go to the site below and download the appropriate info your car based on VIN. Then you will know what you should have. Cost is $20 for 2 day usage.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...arch_docs_page

Does anyone know if you have the battery unhooked for a day or two if that resets the codes? Or does the actual reset need to be by a computer? After battery unhooked for a couple days the light goes off and then after 20-50 miles comes back on.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

There is more to the EGR system then the VSV being connected.

The P0401 computer self check criteria is as follows:

When engine is warmed up. The intake manifold absolute pressure is larger than value calculated by ECM while the EGR system is ON.

Possible causes:
EGR valve stuck closed
Open/short in VSV circuit for EGR
Vacuum or EGR hose disconnected
MAP sensor
VSV for EGR open/close malfunction
ECM

The EGR system is turned off under the following conditions:
Engine not warmed up.
During deceleration (throttle valve closed).
Light engine load (amount of intake air very small).
Idling.
Engine RPM over 4,400 rpm.
High engine load (amount of intake air very large).

A test is to apply vacuum to the EGR valve diaphragm to open the valve withe engine running. If the engine dies or stumbles the valve is working.

The VSV can make a noise but the VSV valving be stuck closed.

If vacuum leaks in the VSV plumbing the system may not work. The engine could also run poorly.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:58 PM

There is more to the EGR system then the VSV being connected.
I understand
The P0401 computer self check criteria is as follows:

When engine is warmed up. The intake manifold absolute pressure is larger than value calculated by ECM while the EGR system is ON.

Possible causes:
EGR valve stuck closed
I am going to test this
Open/short in VSV circuit for EGR
I checked by hooking a battery to it and it clicks...is there another way to test it and make sure it works properly? They say this is the most common cause of Code PO401
Vacuum or EGR hose disconnected
i am trying to find a diagram for all the hoses that are supposed to be hooked up and I will send some pics of my engine and hoses.
MAP sensor

VSV for EGR open/close malfunction
Above-how would I test?
ECM
How would i test?
The EGR system is turned off under the following conditions:
Engine not warmed up.
During deceleration (throttle valve closed).
Light engine load (amount of intake air very small).
Idling.
Engine RPM over 4,400 rpm.
High engine load (amount of intake air very large).

A test is to apply a vacuum to the EGR valve diaphragm to open the valve with engine running. If the engine dies or stumbles the valve is working.
Could I do this myself?
The VSV can make a noise but the VSV valving be stuck closed.
Ok, Is there any way to check this?

If vacuum leaks in the VSV plumbing the system may not work. The engine could also run poorly.
The hoses alll look to be good...no rot. I am trying to find the diagrams to make sure its all hooked up properly.

I hooked a computer to my car to delete the PO401 this morning, just in case disconnecting the battery for a couple days did not reset the computer. I will wait to see if it comes back on.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2020, 11:07 AM

I cleared the codes on the car and PO401 came back on within 24 miles.

I am going to clean EGR and seafoam the car.

I have attached pictures below. I believe this is the Pressure Regulator? Should there be hose(s) hooked to this?

Last edited by Jstephens; 05-08-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:11 PM

I might try the VSV replace it and see if it works

Last edited by Jstephens; 05-08-2020 at 12:15 PM.