Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Help! 2008 CE Overheated. Dealer issue(oil consumption:failed, radiator leak)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:14 PM
Question Help! 2008 CE Overheated. Dealer issue(oil consumption:failed, radiator leak)

To the point:

I scoured the net to find answers to this problems unsucessfully.

My 2008 CE has been serviced by one dealer, oil changes the "17 point oil inspection" at all times. My car started to make rattling noises and my daughter suggested I check the oil. Local shop added 4qts to resevoir, b/c it had almost no oil in it.

Took the car to the dealer, they started the "2AZFE-something test" I had to drive it and bring it back. The oil test failed. I got an oil change same day as the test. Drove it and kept check of the oil levels. The car suddenly stopped on the HWY and started smoking 1 week after driving. A few men help me pull it over and a mechanic looked under the hood and said no oil was in it, but it said full 2 days ago.

The car was towed to the dealership. I was given a rental and they said they'd order the rebuild parts. BUT, suddenly said they would not citing, "because the scoring walls and bypass melting due to the radiator seam failure due to all coolant being lost. "

Can you Toe-yoda ppl help? I ain't an engineer or physicist, but from the bit I can comprehend... radiators don't spontaneously fail within a week in this catastrophic way. There's usually some sort of symptom of water or fluid in oil during the oil change? And low pressure causes engine friction..anddd urrmmmm... You see where this is going?

Can someone please help explain how this happened, my sister has a white one to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ThisDamnCar!; 09-15-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

The radiator has a plastic top and bottom. It is possible the plastic can crack causing a leak. This typical starts as very small leak which can lead over time to a very large leak happening quickly.

Radiator do fail quickly, however in most cases there are signs of leakage prior to the failure.

The small leak would be indicated by coolant loss in the overflow tank. Was the mechanic adding coolant to the tank?

A mechanic should be able to look at the radiator and tell where it leaked and make a guess as to how bad it would be (coolant loss). It can also be pressure tested to simulate operation.

Was the smoke oil or steam? Did it smell like oil or smell sweet?

Did the engine temp gauge ever get into the red?

Who is this mechanic, Toyota dealer or third party?

What has this mechanic done and checked. Oil changes, oil level, coolant level?

After the engine stopped on the HWY, did the mechanic also check for coolant quantity, leakage, etc?

No coolant in the engine would be obvious to detect by someone familiar with engines.

Is the engine now apart?

The Toyota dealer must have known if the engine had coolant or not prior to taking the engine apart.

Coolant in the oil is sign of head gasket failure. However the gasket can fail without any signs of coolant.

This engine is known for excessive oil consumption due to a piston design flaw.