Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Ignition problems?

Old 04-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Default Ignition problems?

The other day I went to go to work and my key would turn all the way over and nothing would happen. My neighbor checked it out and he jiggled the key and the gear shift a little and it started right up. It started fined on the way home but I noticed some weird things. I was listening to some music on my ipod (attached to stereo through connecting wire) and there was some clips in the music and the headlights would dim for a sec when that happened. Also they would dim briefly when I applied the brakes. So this morning I went to work and the car started fine, the music from the ipod didnt clip and I didnt notice anything weird.Later in the day when I went to move my car, the same problem as before happened (with the key turning all the way and nothing happening). I also noticed that if I have the door open and I turn the key part way and jiggle, the open door bell will sound but it stops when I put my foot on the brake and will only come on again if my foot is off the brake and I jiggle the key just right. So there youhave it. Im still at work and I have no idea how im going to get home (I live thirty miles from work). People here say its probably my ignition, but im not sure. Does anybody here know what is up with my car? thanks.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ignition problems?

You may have a bad ignition switch, this could cause the strange behavior in sometimes it works and other times not. That jigging the key may help.

Is this a stock stereo system or does it have a high wattage remote amp. If stock and the lights are dimming on bass notes not enough power is being delivered to the meet the cars demands.
That fact the chime stops when your press on the brake pedal may mean more power is being asked for then can be delivered.

Would check the battery cables and connections. The terminal connections at the battery can become corroded resulting poor or no current flow. The terminals may have a problem where connecting to the wires or a bad battery cable ground connection to the chassis.

If you or someone has battery cables, try jumping the car. If the cars starts OK look for problems in the battery connections and cables.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Default RE: Ignition problems?

The mechanic at work checked it out and said the battery wasnt putting enough power out for the car to run so I took the battery back to walmart and they tested it and it turned out to be bad. the CCA for the battery should be 550 amps but it tested at 330 so they replaced the battery for free. I hope this is the end of the problem.