Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

loud noise only on cold start

Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Default loud noise only on cold start

I have a 1996 Camry 4 cyl XLE with about 65,000 miles. When started cold (first thing in the a.m.) there is a very loud rumble from under the car which sounds like a hole in the exhaust or manifold. But the exhaust system is intact according to the people who have done exhaust work on our cars for the past 15 years. When the engine is warm and I start, it is somewhat loud but almost sounds normal. When driving with a warm engine there is a noticeable noise, again as if there is a hole in the exhaust. The car vibrates when in Drive and with my foot on the brake (At a stoplight). I had the front (at the grille) and upper engine mount replaced as I was told they were broken. Vibration stopped for a day or two but has returned. In neutral there is no vibration. Reving the engine in Neutral does not produce the noise or any vibration out of the ordinary. I have had the car to my regular mechanic and another who services nothing but Toyotas. I have left the car over night and of course they don't experience the problem. Now that the temperature is getting into the low 30's at night maybe I should try again! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Howard

Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Default RE: loud noise only on cold start

I had the same problem. It is probably the pipe ater the Caty. Converter it is rusted and and is cracked or it's just craked from a huge rock or something. It is about a $600 repair at a body shop or do it yourself with duck tape and a rust remover.