Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Please help, timing belt failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Default Please help, timing belt failure

Alright, so I was driving home in the 2000 Camry LE 4cyl (5sFE I think) from Miami one day and I see the low oil warning light come on. I immediately threw it in neutral then the temperature shoots way above hot. As the temp shot up the car stalled. I open the hood and see the timing belt sticking threw the side of the timing cover.

Well I got it home and did a compression test and that failed. It gave something around 50. I pulled the head but don't how to check it. What I did find was that the water pump pulley was bent about 20 degrees which explains the temperature. The timing belt teeth were eaten off by the seized up water pump pulley. There is also plenty of oil inside of the motor (according to the dip stick). There are carbon flakes on the pistons which just need to be vacuumed out.

Since the compression read really low, doesn't that mean something in the head is messed up? The crank seems to spin freely. I took the oil filter off but I can't seem to get it open without sawing it. If I use a saw, that will just defeat the purpose.

Any help to getting this thing fixed ASAP would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Default RE: Please help, timing belt failure

thats a typicall 5s failure the w/p seized causing the t belt to come off and this would be a good reason y the oil pressure lite came on the t belt also drives the oil pump.

50 psi or kpa also u had a good battery and cranked it until the gauge quit climing correct.

low compression does not mean its ur head it could the pistons/rings also.

u can take a punch and knock u a hole in ur filter then take a pair of good side cutters to cut the oil filter open also.

also if u did a compression test how did u do one without replacing the w/p and t belt if ur belt was not on then that compression test was not accurate.

i would put it back together with a new belt and w/p and see how she runs.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Please help, timing belt failure

As Toyota Technician states if you did the compression test with the belt off the results are not valid. Timing belts often fail in this way, the engine may be OK just needing a new WP and belt. Also check the oil pump shaft for belt damage and idlers.