Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timing belt installation woes, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Default RE: Timing belt installation woes, help needed

Adjusting the distributor only adjusts ignition timing. Which has nothing to do with timing when the valves open and close in relation with the position of the crank. Even only being 1 tooth off, it will run but only just. If you have the valves open too late or too early, it will throw off the compression of the engine, and adjusting the ignition timing has no effect what so ever. I may only be 17 and work on Chryslers, Dodges, and the occasional Jeep, but facts are facts. Valve timing and ignition timing are top completley seperate systems, and by adjusting one you cannot compensate for the other.

betacrash- Redo the timing belt install and crank over the engine by hand a few times and make sure that the timing marks line up. I dont know about everybody else. But I was taught that once you have the timing belt on and have made sure all of the marks line up, without putting anything back on (i.e. a/c compressor, alt, p/s pump) I start the car for only a brief second just to make sure it runs fine, so I dont have to redo the whole thing. Good luck.

-Jason

Old 09-05-2006, 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: lavalleemike

ok now i'm pissed off can you read moron. I'm a certified toyota tech. I promise you i'm right!
what dealer do you work at? i hope i dont go there!

Old 09-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe i misread something some where but, i thought i read the timing marks were lined up during this whole discussion. Thus i thought fixing the igniton timing would make his car run.... Sorry to sound like a moron! Oops....

Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 AM

You can compinsate for a one tooth loss buy moving the distributor one way or another.

the computer can compensate for 1 degree either way which translates into a little more than one tooth.
It looks to me that you read everything correctly and were just flat out WRONG! I'd have more respect for you had you just admitted it rather than attempt to back pedal like you just did....

J

Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 PM

Lavalleemike...please don't respond to ANY question that I might have! LOL

Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 AM

I dont even have this car any more but I thought I would follow up with the resolution (better late than never) to help anyone else that might have this problem.

the whole problem was that the Haynes manual showed the motor perfectly horizontal (the valve cover totally flat). of course the motor in the car is tilted to fit. so when i was lining up the gear I was pointing the arrow straight up and not straight to the center of the valve cover. lesson learned.