Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timing belt parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 08:32 PM
Default Timing belt parts?

Hi All,

I'm putting a parts list together to change the timing belt on an 05 Camry (3.0L-1MZ-FE). I haven't done this before and I'm not familiar with just how many parts I'll need beyond a belt, water pump, Idler(s), thermostat, crank seals, valve and timing cover gaskets. At least those come to mind but not having done this before I'm probably missing some.

Am I missing anything or maybe is there a source of parts needed someplace that I can reference?

Also I'm looking for an on-line source for these parts. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks...

Old 05-19-2023, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

One can get a kit with the components for the belt change. Suggest Aisin brand.

If getting a T-stat might look into one that is fail safe. If it fails, it opens not closes. Make sure you get the correct temperature as more than may be listed.

Take a look at the engine and imagine installing the cam and crank seals from a clearance standpoint. They need to be pushed into place uniformly.

The crankshaft harmonic balancer is two-piece with rubber between the two pieces. If too much rotational or axial force is applied to outer pulley it may move relative to inner pulley.

Think about how to hold the crank from rotating while loosening the pulley bolt. Toyota uses a crank pulley holding tool that bolts onto the inner pulley.

Also need a way to hold the cam pulleys to unbolt them.

Don’t use a jaw puller on the harmonic balancers as it can pull apart. Use a bolt on puller (uses same holes as crank pulley holding tool).

Rotate the engine to TDC for No 1 cylinder prior to starting work. Suggest getting a marking pin to highlight the alignment of the cam pulleys.

Some belts come with alignment marks. Have some kind of drawing to refer to when putting the belt back on.

The front engine mount need to be removed.

Once the belt installed and tensioner released rotate the crank two times and recheck alignment (VERY IMPORTANT to do this). Pulleys can move when slack is taken out of the belt as the tensioner is released.

Try to measure the coolant drained out of the engine and reinstall the same amount to know what the system is full. Squeeze the radiator hoses to burb out air.

If original alternator one can change out the brushes externally as will have easy access now.

Perhaps new drive belts.

The engine may idle rough or die at few times when first started but quickly return normal.

For parts try rockauto.com. Search the internet for a 5% discount coupon. Be cautious of shipping as part drop ship from all over the place and shipping can add up. Use the websites ship function which shows which parts ship from the same warehouse.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the response toyomoho.

I found an Aisin timing belt kit. It has about half the parts in my list. Guess the other parts I'll have to purchase individually.

Thanks for the tips. I had no idea about some of those potential problem areas. Those are the kinds of things that only come with experience.