Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Broken Timing Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Default Broken Timing Belt?

My kid's 98 2.2 L Camry died on her. I'm going to push it home to look at it but notice the radiator was empty and a puddle under the car. She said it made a lot of noise before it stalled. It was making some rattling noise the day before. I'm hoping it is something simple like the water pump.

My question...if the timing belt broke, would that mess up the valves if she tried to start the car? I thought this was an issue on older cars but thought the newer (if you consider an 11 year old car newer) cars didn't have that issue.

Anyone know?

Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Broken Timing Belt?

Damage is not a problem on this engine a 5S-FE. Then newer engine with variable valve timing would have an issue but they are chain drive.

The water pump could have broken and taken out the belt or visa versa. Something the belt comes apart and wraps around the pump. Look for coolant leaks under the timing cover.

This type of dramatic failure happens but rarely.

If you have the time, a few tools and experience you can replace all the parts yourself. Would plan on a weekend job if doing it the first time. After market parts are readily available.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 PM

So I checked it out and there is coolant dripping from the timing belt cover.

I checked the Haynes manual and the water pump sounds as if it is behind the timing belt cover? My Infiniti and my wife's minivan, the water pump is accessible without having to rip out the timing belt.

Am I reading the manual correctly? And if coolant is dripping from the timing belt cover, I'm assuming the water pump is out...true?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Pump is behind the timing cover.

The AutoZone website has a vehicle repair section that may help. You will need to remove the crankshaft pulley and upper engine mount.

Once apart check the seals on the cam/crank shaft and oil pump for leaks. Plus idler bearings roughness. If problems change them now as all you have access.