Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Wrecked 1997 toyota camry

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

You can buy a cheap VOM meter at Harbor Freight for under $5.

Last edited by toyomoho; 04-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
You can buy a cheap VOM meter at Harbor Freight for under $5.
Okay so today I went out to the junk yard and got some new coils and the relays. Neither helped, but earlier I found out that the car really doesn't have spark. Initially when I did the test I didn't see any spark but my stepdad said he did, well as it turned out I tested it with my hand and there was no spark(shock).

So earlier I broke down and bought a code reader for 130$ and I thought that surely this would diagnose the problem. However It wouldn't connect to my car(physically the plug fit), so I'm guessing when the engine was replace the diagnoses wasn't hooked up or was disabled. The pump also wont power on when my car does, so is there anything that both the pump and spark run parallel off of? It has to be the problem if so. Thanks for reading

Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

This is a 1997 Camry sold in the US? If so it should be ODBII compliant.

Where did you try to plug the reader into? There should be an ODBII plug under the dash within 1 foot of the steering column. The link below has a drawing of the plug, its at the end of a harness. Look for the plug. Would be strange for the plug not to be there.

Google Image Result for http://www.obdii.com/images/connectorblue.GIF

The engine was replaced?

The fuel pump will only run when the engine is turning over during starting or when running. Not when the ign key is ON.

For no spark check the following:

All wiring connectors at the ign coils.

Ign wire resistance between ends, should be a max of 25K ohms.

If each coil has two ign wire plugs check resistance between plugs.
Cold 9.7-16.7K ohm, Hot 12/4-19.6K ohm.

Make sure the coils are getting 12V DC at the power wire. The power wires might be Black/Red in color.

If the car has a cam or crank sensor check resistance of the wires at the connectors as follows:

Cam sensor 835-1400 ohm cold, 1060-1645 ohm hot.

Crank sensor 985-1600 ohm cold, 1265-1890 ohm hot.

As stated in prior posts check the dash for a blinking red light (security system). If a light is blinking the car will not start.

The Black/Red wires power a lot of items including fuel pump, ign coils and injectors.

Did you check ALL the fuses such as Ignition, ECU-IG?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
This is a 1997 Camry sold in the US? If so it should be ODBII compliant.

Where did you try to plug the reader into? There should be an ODBII plug under the dash within 1 foot of the steering column. The link below has a drawing of the plug, its at the end of a harness. Look for the plug. Would be strange for the plug not to be there.

Google Image Result for http://www.obdii.com/images/connectorblue.GIF

The engine was replaced?

The fuel pump will only run when the engine is turning over during starting or when running. Not when the ign key is ON.

For no spark check the following:

All wiring connectors at the ign coils.

Ign wire resistance between ends, should be a max of 25K ohms.

If each coil has two ign wire plugs check resistance between plugs.
Cold 9.7-16.7K ohm, Hot 12/4-19.6K ohm.

Make sure the coils are getting 12V DC at the power wire. The power wires might be Black/Red in color.

If the car has a cam or crank sensor check resistance of the wires at the connectors as follows:

Cam sensor 835-1400 ohm cold, 1060-1645 ohm hot.

Crank sensor 985-1600 ohm cold, 1265-1890 ohm hot.

As stated in prior posts check the dash for a blinking red light (security system). If a light is blinking the car will not start.

The Black/Red wires power a lot of items including fuel pump, ign coils and injectors.

Did you check ALL the fuses such as Ignition, ECU-IG?
Yeah I checked all the fuses and they're okay, but I don't have a meter to check up the relays. Hopefully I can pick one up tomorrow and narrow it down a lot more.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Check for the ODBII plug on the car.

Keep in mind the ODBII system does not monitor everything. If it is a power failure, wiring problem, fuel issue, etc the computer will not be checking for this and no codes will show up.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 AM

I just figured I'd update everyone, but the problem turned out to be a few shorts according to the mechanic. Anyway my muffler is loud as hell, and I think that's a task I can handle.