General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 camry throttle unresponsive, help us

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Default 02 camry throttle unresponsive, help us

i am currently deployed so i am asking for help from you camry gurus solving a problem. I just got off the phone with my wife and she said that her gas pedal is not responding. She says the car starts, idles, and goes through the gears normaly, however the throttle does nothing. She can push it all the way to the floor with no revs or anything.
the car is anauto 2002 camry 4cyl LE. I tried researching but the internet here isnt all that good. I would greatly appreciate any help through this! Thank you in advance

Old 06-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 02 camry throttle unresponsive, help us

The throttle appears to be electric and driven by a motor-No push/pull cable as in older cars. It is possible the throttle motor or accelerator throttle position sensor is bad.

The setup is supposed to have a limp home mode. If either sensor or motor fails the throttle is supposed to become slightly open via a spring to allow the car to driven at slow speeds.

One person had simular issue which turned out to be blown fuse, suggest checking all the fuses.

Fuse boxes are located in the engine compartment drivers side near the inner fender in a plastic box and behind the lower dash on far drivers side.

Otherwise, diagnostics would be beyond someone with no mechanical/auto repair background.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:04 PM

thank you for your help! I will have her cousin check all the fuses. I was hoping that if another member had this problem that we would be able to narrow it down to make it eisier. Hopefully her cousin should be able to solve the issue without getting an expensive mechanic involved. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Send a private message with an email address. I will send out some info on how to test the throttle system.