General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 toyota camry v6

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:35 AM
Default 1991 toyota camry v6

hello new here im having a electrical problem with my 1991 toyota camry v6 the alternator took a dump so i put a new battery and new alternator now when i started it i felt the alternator and it was burning hot so i shut it down took the alt back and had it checked its fine ,and i had the battery checked its fine and fully charged ,so i reinstalled it and same thing burning hot so i just unpluged the alt plug and it cooled down ,not the red hot wire, i checked if the thick maine wire was hot and it was cool , but as soon as you put the plug back in the alt starts to get hot and smell ,took the alt back off and took it to different autozone and had them check it its fine ,so im thinking there is a short some where, i think its in the plug in for the alternator , so my question where do those wires go ? and does any one have a wiring diagrams for my 1991 toyota camry le v6 ,or maybe some one here had a similar problem , oh and the check engine light is on so i tryed to pull codes with the paper clip the check engine light just keeps blinking real fast it wont stop and do the normal morse code thing ,and i checked all the fuses both under the hood and in the kick panele and also checked the fuse breakers all are fine,and no visiable burnt wires ,,,, this thing is driving me crazy any ideas ?? thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

How are you checking the trouble codes? A steady blinking light indicates no codes are stored.

Did you have the battery tested, it may have an internal short causing the alt to over work.

The AutoZone website may have wiring diagrams in their vehicle repair guide section.

The alt wiring is as follows:
Black/Yellow wire - 10A Engine fuse

White wire from alt terminal B - 80A fusible link then to battery.

White from terminal S - 0.5 fusible link, then 80A above fusible link then battery.

Yellow - 7.5A Charge fuse, then alt charge indicator light.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Default more info

toyomoho , im testing the codes through the gray test port under the hood ,im useing a jump wire between the TE1 and the E1 termanals ,and i have a 70 amp alternator with a three wire plug in and the big positive wire that bolts on , the three wires are ,,a big white wire ,,smaller black with yellow stripe ,,and solid yellow , now when i start the car with the negative battery cable off the altanator dont get hot but as soon as i connect it i hear the alt make noise and gets hot ,its a new alt and battery and the battery is fully charged, i know i could fallow the wires that plug into the alt but thats a lot of work , is there a way just to make your own wires where they are suposed to go ,that plug into the alt ? autozone web site does not have the wiring diagram i need ,does anyone here have a web site that has the wiring diagrams ? helpppp lol