General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 V6 Steering Loose and Shakes when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Default 1991 V6 Steering Loose and Shakes when shifting

I have a 1991 V6. The steering wheel is VERY loose, like a good 4-6 inch play in the steering wheel. Also when i take off, or when it shifts hard the steering jerks - almost like wobbles. Turning a hard right turn (lets say a U-Turn) and turning the wheels back to straight it will make a click noise. Front struts were replaced about 6 months ago with no alignment done after.

Does this sound like bad tie rods? or CV joints maybe? If anyone could shed some light that would be perfect!! thanks guys!

BWT its NOT the all-trac version - just the 2 wheel drive one.

Last edited by pctechwright; 10-24-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: forgot some info that might be valuable in assessing issue
Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

If you have clicking when turning could be CV joints. This could cause the wobble but not the slop in the steering system say if not moving or moving a slow speeds. For this check the tie rod ends are described in you other posts.

Make a few 180 and 90 degree turns at speeds like you would be making that U-turn. If you here a click, click, click or popping noise in time with the tire rotation a CV joint is bad. The bad joint is typically on the opposite side of the direction of turn.

The car may have two problems, a bad CV joint and bad tie rod ends.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If you have clicking when turning could be CV joints. This could cause the wobble but not the slop in the steering system say if not moving or moving a slow speeds. For this check the tie rod ends are described in you other posts.

Make a few 180 and 90 degree turns at speeds like you would be making that U-turn. If you here a click, click, click or popping noise in time with the tire rotation a CV joint is bad. The bad joint is typically on the opposite side of the direction of turn.

The car may have two problems, a bad CV joint and bad tie rod ends.
awesome thanks for the reply! Now that i have been driving it a bit more it seems its not so much a "click" as it is a thump. lol I will have a shop take a look for me just to make sure. again thanks for the reply!