General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Camry LE V6 215K - Emerg. Brake loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Default 1995 Camry LE V6 215K - Emerg. Brake loose

I press down on the emerg brake pedal, feels loose as it goes down and the other half of the way tightens up and holds fine.

Never did any work on emergency brake cables , pedal , etc..

Rear brakes , rotors,emergency brake shoes, bearings, and splash shield replaced a while ago. Brakes fine,

Adjusted emergencies when put on just like in the manual.

Thinking about it I think it loosened up over the years and did not pay too much attention to it but now a lot of play.

Suggestion on where to start. Never worked on emergency brakes except shoes.

Last edited by wdc123; 11-06-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest rechecking shoe/drum clearance as per manual. Did you drive the car with the E-brake engage as per the manual then readjust if required?

Would assume if like E-brake for drum car, its 5-7 clicks until pedal is firm.

There should be an adjustment on the E-brake cable, where it connects to the cable running between the two rear brakes. Can tighten the E-brake cable to take out slack.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM

Will check the slack for the cable and I thought I installed the rotor on the shoe until you can't hear scraping of emergency when turning rotor. I have discs in rear. Will re-read manual on procedure adjustment..

Thanks

Old 11-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Default Emergency Brake Cable

With the car that old, if you live in rust prone area, even if there is an adjustment on the cable, you may not be able to make adjustment.

I think the rear brake is shoes/drum, as I recall on my 1995 Camry, I had owned previously, but you are indicating replacement of rotor on rear brake. If you have a rotor on your rear, your rotor is also drum. That drum brake is exclusively used for emergency brake. Replacing the shoes on that rear will also be difficult as your Camry is old. But you may never have to replace the shoes as you do not use them in daily bases. Unless, of course you had driven with the emergency brake engaged at one time or another.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:51 AM

The rotor, emergency brakes, bearings, and backing plate are changed. The backing plate was shot and on the 1995 its not a splash guard but a part of the brake system. This was a huge job. At least for me.

I will get under there and see what can be adjusted and what you say makes sense since I am in the Midwest,

I will try PBBlaster but it may be very rusted.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2018, 02:35 PM

Looking at the emergency pedal alone and pushing it down with my hand it should bounce back but I noticed there is a small shock absorber that ensures that. Part 46220-30010 Parking Brake Pedal Return Absorber Assembly. Will pull out and see how it is working.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:01 PM

I can't write more than a few sentences w/o crashing so emerg brakes fixed. Found adjustment. Not sure why site is crashing.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:50 AM

I was cleaning the inside of my car and removed the coin holder to clean it on the console. Inside was the emergency brake cable and the adjuster. The cable was very loose and I could see the adjuster nuts moved up. I then unscrewed both down , held the bottom one and tightened the top. The pedal is very tight with about three to four clicks. The cable was the right route to follow and not the shock. I thought the cable adjuster was below the car but I guess all models are different. Thank you everyone. Will monitor.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Default Good Work

Originally Posted by wdc123
I was cleaning the inside of my car and removed the coin holder to clean it on the console. Inside was the emergency brake cable and the adjuster. The cable was very loose and I could see the adjuster nuts moved up. I then unscrewed both down , held the bottom one and tightened the top. The pedal is very tight with about three to four clicks. The cable was the right route to follow and not the shock. I thought the cable adjuster was below the car but I guess all models are different. Thank you everyone. Will monitor.
Good job, wdc123.
I am glad you found a solution. Adjustment on the bottom of car are true for most of domestic makers and assumed to be true on all vehicles, on my part of response. I do not personally have experience with brake line adjustment on 95 Camry. It may be that Toyota engineers have already thought of this rust problem and made the adjustment on the inside of the car rather then out side, under the vehicle. Little thing like this makes a difference in car design. I have 2001 Chrysler, which have same problem but unable to make adjustment so I am living without the emergency brake.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:58 AM

I drove yesterday and heard a rubbing sound and had to go back home and readjust. It was too tight. All good now.
Sorry to hear about the emergency brake. I know it will be had to fix since it will probably fall apart once you start taking it apart.
Reminds me of my 2003 suburban. Had to replace all brake lines. No plastic coating to inhibit rust. My 1995 Camry which are still intact has a thick plastic coating..
Thanks